Cleaning out empty snail shells

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by sweetsammi, Dec 22, 2012.

1. s

sweetsammi Valued Member Member

My Assassin snails are doing awesome, and have been breeding well. However, does anyone have any tips on cleaning out the empty MST shells. I was using the vac which isnt the easiest. I have to get really low to the sand to get enough suction, but the same time I dont wanna vacuum up any of my baby Assassins. Any tips?

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I use my fish-only turkey baster :) - works well on picking up small stuff like that

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Haha yeah I am now in the same boat as you (found 4 babies so far and the pair is still breeding like rabbits xD) anyways I have found that I need to remove them by hand as my vac really sucks (not in the good way) but i take the shells let them dry they I crush them and mix them back in with the sand so the calcium and stuff breaks back down into the water... plus it helps balance out the driftwood Ph wise :)

Also before you toss the bucket out check the bottom carefully I case you do indeed suck one of the little guys up.

5. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

I don't have assassin snails but I guess my snails are just reaching the end of their life spans? Perhaps my cichlids are sucking them out of the shells.... I just personally leave the shells there. They don't really bother me.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I scoop them out with a net....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice