Cleaning out empty snail shells

sweetsammi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My Assassin snails are doing awesome, and have been breeding well. However, does anyone have any tips on cleaning out the empty MST shells. I was using the vac which isnt the easiest. I have to get really low to the sand to get enough suction, but the same time I dont wanna vacuum up any of my baby Assassins. Any tips?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use my fish-only turkey baster - works well on picking up small stuff like that

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Haha yeah I am now in the same boat as you (found 4 babies so far and the pair is still breeding like rabbits xD) anyways I have found that I need to remove them by hand as my vac really sucks (not in the good way) but i take the shells let them dry they I crush them and mix them back in with the sand so the calcium and stuff breaks back down into the water... plus it helps balance out the driftwood Ph wise :)

Also before you toss the bucket out check the bottom carefully I case you do indeed suck one of the little guys up.

mmolitor87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have assassin snails but I guess my snails are just reaching the end of their life spans? Perhaps my cichlids are sucking them out of the shells.... I just personally leave the shells there. They don't really bother me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom