Cleaning Oase Biomaster prefilter with tap water?

Dippiedee

Recently we have eliminated the bucket part of our water changes. Water/gunk goes straight from the vac down the plug, which is a lot easier but it also means I dont have a bucket of tank water to clean the prefilter. Obviously the prefilter is just the bit that catches the gunk, then the water is filtered through all the media and sponges in the canister. Does this mean that rinsing the prefilter sponges in tap water wont have a detrimental effect on the beneficial bacteria living in the canister? The sponges get Really dirty so I normally have to clean them in 3 seperate bowls of water. Using the tap would be a lot less hassle

Basically, can I clean the prefilter sponges in tap water without ruining my cycle?

AvalancheDave

Should be fine. I blast mine with the garden hose all the time. I'm more concerned about the temperature of the tap water rather than the chlorine content.

Upvote 0

Backblast72

Recently we have eliminated the bucket part of our water changes. Water/gunk goes straight from the vac down the plug, which is a lot easier but it also means I dont have a bucket of tank water to clean the prefilter. Obviously the prefilter is just the bit that catches the gunk, then the water is filtered through all the media and sponges in the canister. Does this mean that rinsing the prefilter sponges in tap water wont have a detrimental effect on the beneficial bacteria living in the canister? The sponges get Really dirty so I normally have to clean them in 3 seperate bowls of water. Using the tap would be a lot less hassle

Basically, can I clean the prefilter sponges in tap water without ruining my cycle?

Good Evening Dippie,
I personally have never used an Oase Biomaster so I would have to look up how does the water flow internally within the filter. Usually I would say that if you rinse your sponges in tap water it should harm you beneficial bacteria. Most municipalities do add a certain amount of chlorine and or chloramine into their water supply so we don't get sick. However, I would say it would depend a lot on the chlorine concentration in your local area. Try to find out what it is. At least this way you know. You could rinse them in the tap water first to remove all your heavy build up of MULM and then do a final rinse in clean tank water this would minimize the chlorine exposure or at least neutralize its effects. I NEVER clean my sponges in tap water i always use TANK water no mater how dirty they are.

Respectfully,
BB72

Upvote 0

GlennO

I don't think it's ever been demonstrated that rinsing media in tap water is detrimental to the bacteria. Nevertheless it's probably best practice to use tank water. However I use pre-filters for mechanical, not biological filtration. I rinse them out in whatever is easiest and at hand, sometimes tank water, sometimes tap water.

Yes. The remaining trays contain plenty of bio-media.

Upvote 0

Backblast72

With my canister filter I have Mechanical filtration in the lowest basket / tray #4; and then on trays # 3, and #2 I have biological filtration (biohome ultimate) and on my #1 tray I run Chemical filtration (Chemi-Pure Green) since I have planted aquariums. As for the type of canister filter I use the Marineland Magniflow 360.
0AD90FC0-595A-4420-9A4D-E6B1BCF94858.jpeg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
Replies
Views