Cleaning My Tank With Plants Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jhiggins7, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

So I left to visit my sister for a week and my roommate said he would feed my fish while I was gone. Well when I came came back my tank was a huge mess and there was an ammonia spike ,think he was over feeding them, and the water was super cloudy and debris floating around. I did a water change and I took out an almond leave I had in there to help with the ph and there is still a bunch of stuff floating around in the plants (Brazilian water weed and Water Wisteria) should I remove my plants, clean, then replant them?

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You can remove the plants and replant them but you don't really need to, just get the dead stuff out by hand, lightly vacuum the surface where plants are, deep vacuum areas that are unplanted, at the same time do large water changes to get ammonia down to less than 1ppm and treat your tank with Prime to protect your fish. What are your nitrite/nitrate levels?

3. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

Everything else was 0 last night, which lead me to believe that the excess food was causing an ammonia spike, I’m going to test it in a few minutes after I finish up with my other tank

4. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

Water changes and vacuuming should be enough to take care of things. It'll probably just take a few rounds to get everything. I'd recommend 50% changes daily until things are where you want them. You can also add some extra floss to your filter to help get out some of the extra floaties.

5. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

Ph:7.2, NH3/4: .5-1, NO2-: 0, NO3-: 0
    How long does it take for an ammonia spike to dissipate? Last night it was 2, should I take my Oto’s out, I put my guppies in with my shrimp just in case last night because it was so high

6. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

It depends on a lot of things, but if you're doing water changes to get things down, it'll be gone in no time. Do you have prime? If so, just add that to the tank and it should keep things safe as long as it stays below 1 ppm. Based on your numbers, I'd do a 50% water change, dose prime for the entire tank, and put the guppies back in, then check numbers again tomorrow. Treat it as though you were cycling--if ammonia is below 1 ppm, dose prime. If it's above, do a 50% water change. I'd imagine it'll only take a couple days though.

7. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

I have microbe-lift XTreme. Thanks for all the advice I’m never leaving town again

8. ETNsilverstarWell Known MemberMember

How long were you gone for?

9. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Your Nitrates are 0? How long has this tank been set up? Did you ever cycle it?

Did your guppy ever have puppys?

10. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

Yep which I thought was weird because before then it was almost always reading at least 5. The tank has been going for about 3 months fully cycled for about a month.

NO!!!!!!!! She’s still big as can be too, I moved her into my Second tank, that filter is better for the fry and I only have a few shrimp in there so I felt that she may finally let them go. I was actually worried it was going to happen while I was away

11. Jhiggins7New MemberMember

She finally gave birth!! But I was gone for the entire day and when I came back there were only three, but 3 is better than 0 and thinking you’re crazy because she held onto them forever

12. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Were they born fully grown!?!? Lol!