cleaning my tank with a cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What is your opinion of me cleaning my tanks with a cut on my hand?
I cut it yesterday. I was like oh I'll just got buy some band aids for it then I was like wait that might release toxins into the water. Then oh electrical tape will work wait not still toxins.

OP
Landozer18

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
that was my thoughts too. I've heard though that some people have got a skin eating disease in this situation though. I do find that hard to believe though.

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I asked the same thing, though I wasn't gonna tape myself up, I slap neosporin on the wound and keep going (but didn't want that affecting my fish, so I asked here!)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll be fine. I have never thought twice about it. I actually (unknowingly) cut myself while doing some maintenance on my reef, and was bleeding in the tank! I'm still alive, and everything in the tank is still alive. [thankfully I don't keep sharks! ]

If you're really concerned, you can get yourself some arm length gloves

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that was my thoughts too. I've heard though that some people have got a skin eating disease in this situation though. I do find that hard to believe though.
There was a thread about this not too long ago. I think the bottom line is your general health. If you are one that gets sick all the time, then you might want to take extra precautions to protect yourself. If you are always getting your hands dirty and never get sick, then I wouldn't worry.

FYI, people come down with the same flesh eating bacteria from public pools and stuff - it's not just in the aquarium....

skjl47

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello; I have had many cuts on my hands over the decades and had them in tanks. So far no serious problems. I have from time to time had cuts get infected but this may have been from the many other things my hands were in other than the tanks. For serious cuts I would keep the involved hand dry as a matter of regular practice not just around a tank.
A few years ago I began to use a product called new skin liquid bandage on small cuts. I also have sealed cuts with superglue. Both things work for several hours to protect a cut and keep dirt and such out. They do sting when applied but I have found it to be worth the short term pain to prevent infection. I am sure that I have had my hands in tanks when doing this and have seen no ill effects to the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom