cleaning my tank with a cut

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Landozer18, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Landozer18

Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

What is your opinion of me cleaning my tanks with a cut on my hand?
    I cut it yesterday. I was like oh I'll just got buy some band aids for it then I was like wait that might release toxins into the water. Then oh electrical tape will work wait not still toxins.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I cut my self all the time and clean my tanks and ponds. I'm not dead yet.

3. Ava

Ava Valued Member Member

:;laughing Such optimism.;D

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I always have cuts on my hands - job hazard. I, too, am still alive...

5. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

that was my thoughts too. I've heard though that some people have got a skin eating disease in this situation though. I do find that hard to believe though.

6. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I asked the same thing, though I wasn't gonna tape myself up, I slap neosporin on the wound and keep going (but didn't want that affecting my fish, so I asked here!) :)

7. Jaysee

I don't think that petroleum jelly will do anything to the fish, but it will seal your wound.

8. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

You'll be fine. I have never thought twice about it. I actually (unknowingly) cut myself while doing some maintenance on my reef, and was bleeding in the tank! I'm still alive, and everything in the tank is still alive. [thankfully I don't keep sharks! :giggle:]

If you're really concerned, you can get yourself some arm length gloves http://www.thatpetplace.com/aqua-gloves-1-pair-28in

9. Jaysee

There was a thread about this not too long ago. I think the bottom line is your general health. If you are one that gets sick all the time, then you might want to take extra precautions to protect yourself. If you are always getting your hands dirty and never get sick, then I wouldn't worry.

FYI, people come down with the same flesh eating bacteria from public pools and stuff - it's not just in the aquarium....

10. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

Im a mechanic so I constantly have cuts on my hands. I have yet to get sick or an infection. I do scrub my hands and arms when im done though.

11. Jaysee

Haha, for you I would be more concerned about washing up BEFORE sticking your hands in there :)

12. Atomsk

Atomsk Valued Member Member

I heard about Fish TB but I always figure that it was a myth :)

13. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

Im also a mechanic but I wear latex gloves other wise with my skin I never get clean no matter how much I scrub.

14. H

Habsfan New Member Member

Here's an article on a related subject:

15. Akari_32

You're much more likely to get tb from your fish than you are some flesh eating bacteria, but even still it's not heard of very often.

16. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

tb?

17. OP
    OP
    Landozer18

yea tb? all that comes to mind is terbuculosis and I know it isn't that!

18. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

19. Akari_32

Yeah it is ;)

20. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

Hello; I have had many cuts on my hands over the decades and had them in tanks. So far no serious problems. I have from time to time had cuts get infected but this may have been from the many other things my hands were in other than the tanks. For serious cuts I would keep the involved hand dry as a matter of regular practice not just around a tank.
    A few years ago I began to use a product called new skin liquid bandage on small cuts. I also have sealed cuts with superglue. Both things work for several hours to protect a cut and keep dirt and such out. They do sting when applied but I have found it to be worth the short term pain to prevent infection. I am sure that I have had my hands in tanks when doing this and have seen no ill effects to the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice