Cleaning Massive Natural Pond Help 

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
I’m on holiday right now with family in North America and they have a natural pond. It’s about 125-150ft long, 100ft wide, and 12ft at the deepest. An oval shape dug out with a digger so it’s edges smoothly curve downwards. It’s stocked with around 20koi and goldfish which in recent years they are unable to see as its gone brown. Some reeds around the edges, also contains nests and frogs of some sort. Any ideas on cleaning up a huge pond like this? It does not have a liner or pump or anything, just a clay bottom.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The discolouration is probably caused by an accumulation of decaying matter on the pond floor. You could solve this by dredging but you would need something the depth of the pond that you can drag across the bottom without bagging the fish. You can try a very large net weighed down with a few heavy stones, tie rope to the ends and plop it in on one side and drag it across the floor for the length of the pond, then pull it on shore at the other end. Empty it on a compost pile or something similar, then rinse and repeat until you find noticeably less gunk in the net. Alternatively maybe one of those small nets on a long, strong pole they sell to clean large outdoor pools.

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
The discolouration is probably caused by an accumulation of decaying matter on the pond floor. You could solve this by dredging but you would need something the depth of the pond that you can drag across the bottom without bagging the fish. You can try a very large net weighed down with a few heavy stones, tie rope to the ends and plop it in on one side and drag it across the floor for the length of the pond, then pull it on shore at the other end. Empty it on a compost pile or something similar, then rinse and repeat until you find noticeably less gunk in the net. Alternatively maybe one of those small nets on a long, strong pole they sell to clean large outdoor pools.
Yes I believe that would be the problem and heard you can buy pumps that can handle solid waste

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Very envious of a pond that size. Hope you can clear it up and enjoy the Koi in there

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
SuperD14 said:
Yes I believe that would be the problem and heard you can buy pumps that can handle solid waste
Well in that case you can just google DIY dredge or dredge pump and you will find a whole range of options. None of them a very cheap but then a 'pond' of your size does not sound very doable manually. You'd hope in a body of water that size, things would just sort themselves out hm.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also dependingon what area of the US your in it could be scorching hot and going through an algae bloom causing the water to cloud/green up

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Also dependingon what area of the US your in it could be scorching hot and going through an algae bloom causing the water to cloud/green up
New York State, they removed the reeds and got an algae bloom a few years back but now it’s just brown.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So you definitely should be in the 80's or so. Never had a pond but hope you can get it sorted. I miss visiting my brother when he lived in Windsor and Binghamton. Nice country. Well Bing is a little more city but Windsor was amazing. What area of NY are you?
Edit: would be amazing if you could snap a couple shots of it

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
So you definitely should be in the 80's or so. Never had a pond but hope you can get it sorted. I miss visiting my brother when he lived in Windsor and Binghamton. Nice country. Well Bing is a little more city but Windsor was amazing. What area of NY are you?
Edit: would be amazing if you could snap a couple shots of it
I’m in Ithaca near Cornell university. I’ll definitely snap some shots of it!!!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
U.S. place names always get me off my game. Reading about windsor and ithaca and then having to manually shift gears and add a ", NY, U.S." tag every time, replacing my mental of royal manors and greek temples with college campus and uh, flats?

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
PascalKrypt said:
U.S. place names always get me off my game. Reading about windsor and ithaca and then having to manually shift gears and add a ", NY, U.S." tag every time, replacing my mental of royal manors and greek temples with college campus and uh, flats?
Aha!! I’m from England so when I see Windsor and Richmond etc it is also very confusing

Jack B Nimble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This product can clear a lake like yours and I have used it perfectly safe for fish etc. It is beneficial bacteria and will clear and remove waste etc. www.shac.ca

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It will take a bit of research, but it sounds like a perfect candidate for a septic treatment. I dont think most of the rid-x line is safe, but there are a lot of septic products with safe ingredients that help breakdown waste. Some people have used them in larger freshwater tanks, but I think ponds is where they really shine.

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
5244b8ec1d1dcd8303ce0aaf963d4db8.jpg

901269dd346081ef7787778c92616a41.jpg

b1181379eee96593ad0c137a6f685762.jpg

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That pond looks great from where I'm sitting. I bet its full of wildlife that would be harmed by unnecessary and ignorant intervention.

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
That pond looks great from where I'm sitting. I bet its full of wildlife that would be harmed by unnecessary and ignorant intervention.
Yep I’ve seen frogs and newts so far, also some turtles are apparently in there but I’ve not seen them so I can not identify, and only two around 2.5ft koi fish however I’ve been told they introduced 20 but I would be surprised if all could live in here. My grandpa makes sure to keep the edges mowed in order to prevent it from becoming into a bog. He dug it out with a digger 35 years ago and it’s a swimming pond they use to cool off and to water plants down at their house.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bog is good, for many plants and animals. I am working on one now.
18.07.08 Adel Bog Steve Joul - Copy.jpg

Attachments

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Bog is good, for many plants and animals.
But since it’s man made he’s worked very hard not to allow it to become a bog as he enjoys swimming in there and keeping the koi. Since the koi are breeding I’m going to assume they’re not doing too badly. Plenty of leeches in there too!!

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah gotcha. Well that's a lot more work!

SuperD14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Ah gotcha. Well that's a lot more work!
Out there mowing every week at the age of 76, I’m impressed