Cleaning Hospital Tank, Filter and Gear

1. citationjeff Initiate Member

Hey Everybody,

On my 55 gallon I have a Aquaclear 20 that I have ran as an AUX in case I would need to run a hospital tank. I keep a sponge and bio-media in it, so since it went through my whole cycle, I would consider it cycled as well.

A few days ago my danio started acting really funny, he couldn't swim straight and would just go nuts, I moved him to the tank to medicate.

Well, today I had to put him down since he couldn't even keep himself right side up.

Now what do I do with all the gear. I have the Aqua clear 20 with filter and bio media, a heater, tank, small air stone and net.

Do I just sacrifice the beneficial bacteria and buy new media?

I read about cleaning with a 19 to 1, water to bleach ratio. To use this, i just wipe down with the bleach mixture and then rinse liberally with tap water?

I appreciate the input everyone!

Jeff

2. callichma Well Known Member Member

I bought Stability, a tank bacteria on the incorrect advice of the LFS. I used it and found that it was unsustaining--I would have to add it indefinitely to maintain the cycle. I quit using it and let my tank cycle with the support of Prime. So I've got this bottle of Stability that I'm not using, but it occurs to me that it might be just the thing for the quarantine tank--because it kept my parameters great until I quit adding it. So if you sacrifice your beneficial bacteria because you don't know what killed your fish, you could use one of those products like Stability or Cycle that are cheaper and easier to find than Tetra Safe Start when you need to start your quarantine tank back up. The alternative is to keep fish in it all the time.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Jeff, I'm sorry about your fish.
    I would dump it. A lot of meds kill off the bacteria anyway.
    Buy new media and put it in your established tank for at least 2 weeks to seed it for the next time you need to use it.

19 to 1 is correct. I always put my heater, net (if I used it for a sick fish) and anything else I might have used for the sick fish and run the filter for a little while, then
    Rinse everything really well, until you can't smell bleach any more.
    Refill the tank (soak heater etc.) and OD it with dechlorinator and run the filter for a while to make sure all the bleach is gone.

Edit: callichma's suggestion about using Stability or Cycle for a q tank is good also. :)
    Not, as she said for cycling the main tank.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jeff and Welcome to Fish Lore! I agree with Lucy and I would dump my filter media. You don't want to soak or rinse sponges, ceramic bio cubes or bio balls in bleach. Chances are you would never remove it all. As far as everything else like the heater and nets etc...sterilizing would be great.
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Ken

5. citationjeff Initiate Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

I will ditch the media and sterilze everything else.

Jeff