Cleaning Gravel

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
The gravel in my fish tank is really dirty and I think I should take it out and clean it. How should I do this? Where should I put the fish? Would they be ok in 1 or 2 buckets.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No need to take your gravel out to clean it just vacuum it. You can buy a gravel vacuum/siphon at the lfs. Just vac the gravel everyother water change or do half each time.
Carol

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. Carol is right

You do not have to take out all the gravel to clean it. It would definitely disturb the fish tank cycle.

You can vacuum the grave every time you need to change water.

P.S. Vacuum only 1 half of the gravel bed every time. The other half the other time you change water

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found out that i have a self-starting gravel vac but it dosent work very well. it dosent suck up any gravel when i try 2 use it. my gravel is pretty big could it be 2 big?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not supposed to suck up gravel. The wastes in the gravel just rises up and goes into the bucket.

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok this dosnt really happen when i do water changes. the gravel is usually as dirty as when i start. do u hold it down on the gravel or what? mine came with no instructions.

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
I always push my vac.thru the gravel to the bottom of tank pull up sediment then move it over seems to work fine

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Allright thamks i will try it on da weekend

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Also a neat little trick of physics to get the suction going without having to pump the vac up and down in the water and distressing the fish, is to submerge the whole thing until all the air-pockets are out, place your finger over the end of the hose while the end of the vac stays in the water,move the hose out and down into the bucket, remove finger, and voila, instant suction.
Somewhere out there is one of my old English teachers groaning at the length of that sentence!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom