cleaning gravel in HEAVILY planted tank Help

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by ppate1977, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Hi guys and gals, I have a new dilemma. I have a 10 gal tank with: 1 java fern, 3 java moss bunches, many wisteria, a marimo ball, 2 anubius, and water sprite floating.... how can I vacuum the gravel without all my plants uprooting? Is it even possible?

The problem is with a tank this small I can't even touch gravel without disturbing the plants. Am I just gonna have to deal with this pain in the rear? Thanks friends.

I'd like to do a water change and gravel vacuuming today, still no advice?

I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Ppate,

My Goldfish tank is planted. Usually the only part I vacuum is around the glass. I consider all the other debris to be fertilizer. You can gently skim the top if you want but personally I wouldn't disturb the plants. :)

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

Oh, ok. Just allow the waste in the gravel bed, then allow the plants to take care of it? Well, that is a great answer, I can stop removing everything carefully then vacuuming the gravel. Thanks ken.

Paul

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. jsides1979

jsides1979Valued MemberMember

Hey,
    The plants will consume the waste in the gravel. It would be natural food for them. My tank is planted and i just stir the gravel and it keeps the tank nice and clean.