cleaning gravel in HEAVILY planted tank Help

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by ppate1977, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Hi guys and gals, I have a new dilemma. I have a 10 gal tank with: 1 java fern, 3 java moss bunches, many wisteria, a marimo ball, 2 anubius, and water sprite floating.... how can I vacuum the gravel without all my plants uprooting? Is it even possible?

The problem is with a tank this small I can't even touch gravel without disturbing the plants. Am I just gonna have to deal with this pain in the rear? Thanks friends.

I'd like to do a water change and gravel vacuuming today, still no advice?

:animal0068:I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between. It helps to save a little space on the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Ppate,

My Goldfish tank is planted. Usually the only part I vacuum is around the glass. I consider all the other debris to be fertilizer. You can gently skim the top if you want but personally I wouldn't disturb the plants. :)

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Oh, ok. Just allow the waste in the gravel bed, then allow the plants to take care of it? Well, that is a great answer, I can stop removing everything carefully then vacuuming the gravel. Thanks ken.

Paul

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. jsides1979

jsides1979 Valued Member Member

Hey,
    The plants will consume the waste in the gravel. It would be natural food for them. My tank is planted and i just stir the gravel and it keeps the tank nice and clean.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice