Cleaning glass tops

1. Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Hi ! I have dried hard water or calcium on my glass lids , I clean them every week with vinegar and then rinse them off with hot water for about 5 mins then dry them before putting back on but they are still stained. I was wondering if tooth paste would work with an old tooth brush then rinse with hot water??

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Cleaning glass lids

Hi ! Has anyone tried cleaning the glass lids with tooth paste and an old tooth brush to remove calcium or dried hard water from the glass ? Thanks for your help!!

3. Matt B Well Known Member Member

I use a paste of table salt and vinegar and vigorously scrub it, the salt is pretty abrasive and helps to break things up along with the vinegar ime.

4. bescher Member Member

I just take mine off and over to the sink, some windex, then rinse it off and dry it with a lint free towel

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The trick to keeping glass lids clean is to wipe them down frequently & not let any drips dry.
    If you do get watermarks a clean unused kitchen scrubber & a run under the tap will get them off, if they're really stubborn a white vinegar solution will do the trick.

6. Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Ok!! Thanks! I'll give that a try !!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

9. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have the same thing at the top of my tank so how do I get it off? I've tried razors vinegar might work but I'm afraid of it getting in the tank