Cleaning filters

lunanightlock

I'm going to have two sponge filters in my tank. I was wondering since I have two, would it be ok to rinse one sponge in aquarium water (as needed) during water changes? That way not all of the beneficial bacteria would be rinsed away.

carsonsgjs

lunanightlock said:
I'm going to have two sponge filters in my tank. I was wondering since I have two, would it be ok to rinse one sponge in aquarium water (as needed) during water changes? That way not all of the beneficial bacteria would be rinsed away.
If you are going to have two sponges, both will need rinsing eventually as they will clog up. Id alternate cleaning both, so sponge 1 one week then the other a few weeks later (or whenever it starts to get clogged, could go longer or shorter between rinses depending on your stock). In other words, stick to a cleaning routine that works for your tank. Always use aquarium water though, and dont rinse the life out of them trying to get them to look like new - a few quick squeezes into a bucket will be fine to remove the bulk of the waste from them.

StarGirl

Your bacteria doesn't all get washed away when you rinse them. Mostly just mulm. I would alternate them also.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom