Cleaning Filter With Hard Water Deposits

Stephen Hall

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have hard water where I live (20-26 gpg) and I run that in my freshwater tank. I just replaced my emperor 400 filter with a new one because the build up go to bad that the thing was making a grinding noise. The new one is very quiet.

My plan is to clean up the old one and have it ready to put in when the new one gets noisy. I would like to always have one of them cleaned and ready to go. The question is, what to clean it with? I have been using white vinegar and that is working but I am not sure if that is going to be ok for my fish when I put it back into service.

Does anybody know? Is vinegar ok to use? What about something like Lime-away if I wash it well afterwards?

Thanks!
Stephen

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinegar is fine. You can mix it 50/50 with water. Use a new scrub brush, and check down the impeller housing for lost snails. (No really. It happens, and it may explain the noise.)

Stephen Hall

Reaction score
I did check for things like snails because that is a real possibility. However, I am pretty sure the noise was caused by some SERIOUS calcium deposits. They were really thick. I will continue with the vinegar for now and rinse well when I am done. Thanks for the reply.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinegar, baking soda, dawn, bleach, etc. The key is to scrape/scrub it clean and rinse the heck out of it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom