Cleaning Filter Cartridges Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Nickguy5467, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    How do I properly clean filter cartridges in my aqueon quietflow? Usually I would just fill up bucket with vacuumed tank water and vigorously switch the cartridge in the water and then put it back. But I want to make sure that is the right way to do it cuz I'm wondering if all that vigorous action is killing any bacteria cuz right now both of my LED lights are going off for both filters.thank you

2. grump299

grump299Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +323
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would not vigorously swish them around just a gentle rinse in tank water is all that's needed to remove any buildup and if you have carbon in them you can cut the bag open and remove.. if you need the carbon remove from old cartridge and put new one in front of it if you have enough room..

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,492
    Experience:
    2 years
    vigorous swishing won't kill bacteria, it might knock some of it out of the filter but probably not a significant amount. but you should upgrade your filter media.

5. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Agree. It's almost impossible to get rid of bacteria as you really have to try. I bang my Matrix bags on the side of my 5 gallon bucket to knock off the old and make more room for the new.

6. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,625
    Experience:
    1 year
    I think I remember him posting a few months ago, where he said he bought a dozen or more cartridges for his HOB, and wanted to use them up.

@Nickguy5467 , you seem to have a lot of problems regarding keeping your tank cycled.

My suggestion would to supplement your current filter with a large sponge filter with an airpump. If you get one, just leave the sponge filter alone and dont mess with it. Let it run for months.

Continue to use the HOB also.

That way your sponge filter will colonize all your beneficial bacteria and when you clean your HOB, you dont have to worry about jacking up the nitrogen cycle.

Fish breeders almost exclusively use sponge filters in their tanks, many times w/ tanks more stocked than a normal hobbyist.

Sponge filters work great for them.

7. OP
    OP
    Nickguy5467

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    yes, im aware of that. i was just wondering how cleaning cartridges was done properly like cleaning it too much getting rid of the bacteria or something, im not having any issues with cycling right now. i was just curious if i was doing it right, thanks

8. OP
    OP
    Nickguy5467

Ratings:
    +110
    Experience:
    1 year
    yeah ive been trying to do that. i just keep forgetting to buy sponges every time im out. well also find the right sized sponge. probably one of those AC50 foams?