Cleaning crew

1. Dp8006 Initiate Member

Hello I have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a mated pair of angelfish. Their maybe medium size I guess you would say right now. My question is what would be a good choice of fish to help clean my tank? I'm thinking at least a small school of Cory cats and I've thought about a few snails. I have various live plants in the tank but need something to deal with a brown algae issue on my plants and gravel my glass is clean and never seems to be dirty. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Brown algae may be diatoms, which will go away with time after they use up all the minerals they need to survive. Cory cats are a clean up crew. They need their own food and they are carnivores and will not eat algae, although they do eat algae pellets sometimes. If you have a consistent amount of algae, a school of otos could be a choice, or even the smaller species of plecos, like a bristlenose (you would need driftwood though). Nerite snails are a good choice, but mysteries would be nice as well, although they do not eat as much algae as nerites imo.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

qchris87 means they're NOT a clean up crew :)

4. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

LOL OOPS Cory cats ARE NOT a clean up crew. Nice catch TexasDomer