cleaning crew for fry tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by crystalm04, Jul 20, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

What type of fish or other, can I add to my 5.5 gallon fry tank that wont eat my fry but would help keep it clean? I don't have an algae problem in there but I need something to help me keep the tank clean in between water changes. such as with uneaten food and such. I had 3 ghost shrimp in there but took them out cause they were trying to eat my guppy and mollie fry. I literally had to stick my hand in there and pull a shrimp off one of my fry.

2. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

I was going to suggest shrimp....

Also have them....but never had fry.
    Thought they would not eat them (small fish) unless it is sick/dying/died?

Pygmy corries...but 5.5 is just not big enough to add them (since they are to be kept in groups of 5-6).

5.5 in general is not that big and hard to keep multiple fish in there (without severely overstocking).

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Shrimp would be good for cleaning up, but I have never heard of them eating fry before. He might've just been piggy back riding on your fry lol.. Jk

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. AndyVE

AndyVE Valued Member Member

The only time i saw my shrimp eating a fish was after it had died.
    Had juvenile cardinal tetra and rasbora espei in there (now adults)

also have assassin snails and they also never hurt any of the fish/shrimp.

5. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

LOL!! Possibly was trying to hitch a ride but it freaked my kids out sooo....had to put them in my other tank.

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Fry tanks don't need anything else with them. You should be doing water changes daily. You are the clean up crew. Keep them well fed and the water clean. That is the only thing that fry need.

7. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Daily water changes are just not possible for me to do, that's why I was looking for a little help. I've had the tank set up for over a month now and all the fry I managed to save from being eaten in the larger tank are still alive.

8. BDpups

How come you can't do daily changes? And the thing with adding another critter is they will contribute to the water quality.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Like BDpups mentioned, the solution to a clean tank is not adding another critter, it just adds to the bioload and does not relieve you of your responsibility of upkeep and maintenance.

10. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

My water quality is perfectly fine guys. Its probably the best tank in the house. Reason I cant do daily changes is cause I have other responsibilities as well. Anyhow its my little girls tank and I was just wanting to know if there were any other fish I could add that would help in keeping it cleaner than it already is. I had put ghost shrimp in because she wanted some and I thought it wouldn't hurt until I saw one picking at my fry.

I have 3 other tanks as well and I do water changes to all once a week. Usually on Mondays cause that's when my schedule permits. Anyhow this is obviously veering off course from my original question.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  11. BDpups

Sorry. But if someone has to ask what animal they need to help keep a fry tank clean, then they are obviously new to keeping fry. Fry need clean water, which means daily changes. Is it necessary for ordinary live bearers? Maybe not. But common live bearers often pass along undesirable traits. Having pristine water can sometimes help with this. If you can keep your nitrates below 5ppm with weekly water changes great. But this can be difficult in a 5 gallon tank. I like to keep nitrates in fry tanks at 0ppm. But I don't raise fry anymore.

Anyway. Good luck...

12. thinkpink94

thinkpink94 Valued Member Member

Hi crystalm04

I'm sure your water parameters are fine. I understand about why you can't do water changes everyday; I have a crazy busy schedule that wouldn't permit something like that either. I don't know of any fish that would be good maintenance for your tank. Maybe see if you can find some smaller ghost shrimp? Lol.

I agree, I feel like people were veering off topic and I found some of the responses people gave to your question to be rude (maybe that's just me though). I understand, you're not looking for an animal to do your job for you, you were just searching for one that would assist in clean up. Not sure why everyone went crazy on you. . .

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I personally don't think fry tanks need to have close to zero nitrates...I let my fry tank get to 20ppm just like all my other tanks and haven't lost a single one. You don't need daily water changes if the tank is cycled and you have a decent filter. Get one mystery snail if you like to clean up food bits, as long as you're keeping up with regular water changes and watching your parameters it should be fine.
    I have platy fry btw.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Ghost shrimp will eat fry. Yikes

:)

15. thinkpink94

thinkpink94 Valued Member Member

Oops, my bad :)

16. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Thank you I will see about getting a snail. This tank in particular just has fry in it but it's also my little girls tank and she sees my boys' tanks getting other fish added so naturally.... She wants something too. I just preferred it to be something that would contribute to cleaning as well. My nitrates are around 5 ppm but I only had 6 fry in there. I actually just added 7 more lol. My fish love to breed and my kids insist on rescuing as many as possible. I figured I'm doing something right cause my original 6 fry are about 5 weeks old now.

17. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of shrimp did you have in there originally? If it was ghost shrimp you could try something smaller like cherry shrimp maybe.

Nerites are also great for cleaning. They have a smaller bioload than mystery snails and stay smaller. They are primarily an algae eating snail but really will eat anything. I have 3 in my 36 gallon and they keep my ornaments really clean. Not so much my glass...the Oto's take care of that. But other people seem to have nerites that clean everything. So maybe my 3 are just afraid of heights.

18. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Yeah I don't know what's up with that either. I did feel like I was being lectured and scrutinized. Not everyone does things the same way but I've had no casualties yet and my fish are doing great. Thanks for your acknowledgement btw, I thought maybe I was taking it the wrong way but yes I found the comments pretty rude myself.

19. BDpups

If you thought I was being rude, I sincerely apologize. I have raised higher end fish and would not risk keeping them in such a small tank, let alone let not change the water daily for reason I have given. Changing the water in a 5 gallon tank takes a few minutes.

Who doesn't have a busy life? I'm a single parent of a 15 year old and work 50 hours a week minimum. I understand being busy. And I would imagine you are probably raising these fry for fun more than for profit.

So if what if what you are doing with the fry is working, I wouldn't change anything. Especially adding a medium size snail that will produce a lot of waste in a 5 gallon tank.

Good luck with everything.

20. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you have to realize that most of the people on here have been keeping fish for quite some time and they know, in their experience, what works. Unfortunately sometimes their advice can be perceived as abrasive and as lecturing. The same has happened to me. But in reality they just want what is best for the fish. You can find a range of advice from stocking levels to care and everything else around the web. Most people on this forum have come to an agreement on what has been most successful in their experience. That's not to say you can't have success other ways as well.

For instance, I have 3 Kuhli Loaches in my tank. Almost everywhere you see on this forum and the web they suggest at least 5-6 in a tank or the loaches won't be happy. I had a bad experience with a larger school of kuhli's and I lost all of them except these three. Well these three now are out and playing all the time and seem much happier in their small school than when they had a large school. It just goes to show you that while the members on this forum usually know what they are talking about and have good advice, it's just advice and unless you are doing something drastic like putting a piranha with a guppy, it doesn't mean that you can't have success doing it a different way.

Just know that usually the advice you find here is given with the fish's best interest in mind. And typically the advice here is sound and won't stear you down a bad path.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice