cleaning brown stuff from filter... MTS?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by monkeypie102, Dec 9, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Alright so I have been fighting this issue with brown gunk inside my HOB filter... I would assume it is diatoms? I can try and get a pic if need be... anyways I was thinking if I toss a few MTS in it they would be able to clean it up some... it is slowing my filter down to where the water is at a trickle, really bad for the motor... any other ideas for cleaning it besides total removal and moved to the sink?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You may be having the same problem I was. I think it's from getting food into the filter intake because lately I've been feeding less and have had a lot less gunk like that. The MTS may help but beware of them getting into the impeller area.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, I wouldn't put snails in an HOB.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'd give the filter media a squeeze or two in siphoned tank water and add it back to the filter.

Recently (after many months) the filter media in my Aqua Clear 110 rose to the top. The sponge was clogged. Gave it a good rinse in siphoned tank water and it's doing fine now.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice