Cleaning Black Diamond Blasting Sand Substrate

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Hello.

I recently changed to BDBS in my 20 long. Before this I had white National Geographic sand. With it destritus, food, and whatnot sucked right up with a vacuum. The BDSD seems to cling to stuff more meaning water changes don't seem to be getting my tank as clean. Of course this could be because my tank is beginning to grow green algae all over EVERYTHING. My two nerites and one mystery can't eat it fast enough. What advice can you give me?

I also plan to get a scrubber soon to start cleaning the inside walls at least on the front and sides myself. Probably will leave algae and biofilm on the back for the snails.

2. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Reduce light, most algae is caused by excess light. Make sure no direct sun, you probably already know that. You could add a siesta to your photo period, example 4hrs on 4off 4on.

3. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

That helps with the algae, but what about the sand? I can't really do the 4 hour deal yet, because I don't have a timer module for my Beamswork. Wasn't really worried for a while because it's growing snail food. It's getting worse though.