Cleaning Biofilm On Glass?

The Rover

I have Horned Nerites, an Oto and Ghost Shrimp. I know all will eat the biofilm off of the glass, but there is still film on the glass and I'm wondering if it would be ok to use my algae brush to clean the glass from time to time? I'm a bit OCD (well, actually a lot OCD!) so I hate seeing the film in there but don't want to wipe away a good food source for them.

Any thoughts on whether I should be leaving the glass alone or am I ok to do this from time to time. I'm thinking once a month or so.

Thanks!

el337

You could wipe it off during your water change. I didn't realize you could see biofilm though. I can feel it but it's never visible for me.

The Rover

Well, then I guess I'm confused as to what biofilm is then. When I look from the side of my tank through the front of my tank I see a film on there. I assumed that was biofilm since my oto and snails seem to be eating it, but they don't get it as clean as I would like it to be. Is that not biofilm?

Discusluv

I can see mine as well, but this is mostly because my discus slough off a thick mucus that layers on top of the bio-film on the glass.
When my discus are juveniles I clean this layer off weekly because, in the case of discus, it contains a growth inhibitor.
Now that they are adults, I don't do it as often.

el337

Could be algae? Can you get a pic?

The Rover

Didn’t think it was algae since it’s basically clear in color but that’s a good point El. Here are a couple of pics. Best I could with my phone
6e25bb80aa92e9aa9a4f6d25bf8395f2.jpg
0957d0eed35c5450b476a30252eb7b24.jpg

Discusluv

That is exactly what mine looks like.

The Rover

The pics make it look worse than it really is...when I look at the tank from the front you can't see it at all. It's only when I look from the sides back through the front of the tank.

376ed886d15b038130529172a32c496b.jpg

This is a pic from the front getting close up and I don’t think you can see it

That is exactly what mine looks like.
So is that biofilm or something from my corys or oto doing something similar to your discus? And if I clean that off once or twice a month I won't be eliminating a major food source for the oto and nerites?

Attachments

• 376ed886d15b038130529172a32c496b.jpg
    376ed886d15b038130529172a32c496b.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 694

Discusluv

No, I think you would be fine wiping it off even more than that, every couple weeks.
I have 5 zebra otocinclus in this tank, and wipe the sides every couple weeks, no issues.

The Rover

Thanks for your help!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Elkwatcher
Replies
Views
Lunas
Replies
Views
Islandvic