Cleaning bio-wheel?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Tana, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

I'm getting ready to set things up for my new (to me) 38 gallon tank that came with a Penguin 330 HOB filter.

The filter works fine and the bio-wheels are spinning, but they are sort of discolored and a bit cruddy looking. The person I bought it from off of Craig's list said that their fish all died when their heater stopped working and judging from the odor of the tank, I definitely smell that dead fish smell.

I plan to clean the tank and all the pieces parts with a water and vinegar solution, but wasn't sure if I should also attempt to clean the bio-wheel. Would it hurt to give it a couple of quick rinses in the vinegar water or should I just leave it be?

2. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

At this point, if it's dry and not being fed by any ammoia source, it isn't like there's going to be any bacteria on it - i'd say clean it.

3. Karl R

Karl RValued MemberMember

I would not personally trust it since the guy said all his fish died. Let's be honest people lie. The bio wheel can be purchased from marineland on line for about twelve dollars.

4. Karl R

Karl RValued MemberMember

Just my way of thinking it is cheap enough and easy enough to get. And it's right there so easy to replace.

5. OP
    OP
    Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

You're right Karl and to be honest, I've had misgivings on attempting to clean them. I want to do everything I can to keep my fish healthy from the get go.

6. ldbrown3138

ldbrown3138Valued MemberMember

Bleach, it will clean it and kill any pathogens. Rinse well with water and dechlor.