Cleaning Big Driftwood Piece?

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought a decent size (2 foot long) driftwood piece for my aquascape and I didn't realize till I got home that I have nothing big enough to boil it in. I'm not super concerned about tannins as the tank is still cycling right now and it has some time for the ph to stabilize but I definitely wanna sanitize it because my LFS is kinda sketchy. I tried boiling each end of the driftwood, but there is still a large section in the middle that I can't boil and I don't know what to do... I really really don't have the patience to let this thing soak for a few weeks. Is there some quick way I can sanitize this piece other than boiling it???

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 1.5 foot piece of drift wood that I had to boil...I couldn't get the middle. I took a ladle and just scooped hot water from the pot during the boiling process and poured it on the middle portion. I was thinking more of a sanitation process than the tannins. I'm just going to have to live it that.

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

If you’ve got a tub, make the water as hot as possible and leave it in there for a while (make sure you take your shower first!) Temps get pretty hot of 120-140F at max, which is a lot better than nothing. And you could always add a couple of pots of boiling water too, just to increase the heat as well.

If not, you can (and/or in addition to using a tub if you want) make a weak bleach solution (pure bleach) of 9 bleach : 1 water and pour the solution atop as well.

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fashooga said:
I have a 1.5 foot piece of drift wood that I had to boil...I couldn't get the middle. I took a ladle and just scooped hot water from the pot during the boiling process and poured it on the middle portion. I was thinking more of a sanitation process than the tannins. I'm just going to have to live it that.
I hadn't even thought of that but thats a really good idea.
KinsKicks said:
Hello!

If you’ve got a tub, make the water as hot as possible and leave it in there for a while (make sure you take your shower first!) Temps get pretty hot of 120-140F at max, which is a lot better than nothing. And you could always add a couple of pots of boiling water too, just to increase the heat as well.

If not, you can (and/or in addition to using a tub if you want) make a weak bleach solution (pure bleach) of 9 bleach : 1 water and pour the solution atop as well.
Wouldn't the wood absorb the bleach to some extent? Im not against the idea I'm just kinda scared of using bleach with Little Salem(my axolotl)

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caleb Smith said:
I hadn't even thought of that but thats a really good idea.

Wouldn't the wood absorb the bleach to some extent? Im not against the idea I'm just kinda scared of using bleach with Little Salem(my axolotl)
It can be a really quick dip if you like, and it is more feasible for harder woods. I’ve done it before, and haven’t had a problem yet, but I make sure to rinse very well and let it out to dry in a sun. Normal environmental conditions break bleach down into water and salt with just a little exposure anywho

However, playing safe is NOT a bad thing, so boiling water works perfectly fine

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I poured kettles of boiling water over my driftwood. I like the bathtub idea too!

Fishin Q

Reaction score
why not break it in pieces to fit your potsboil them then use silcone or some thing else to put back together.watch out soap scum in the tub

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom