Cleaning Aquarium Equipment

emfish

HI Guys,

As some of you know I have ich in one of my tanks. Only problem is that I have 3 other tanks which need cleaning. I usually have separate siphons for each but they have all got mixed up. This isn’t a problem as I’m just going to go and buy new ones.... the problem is the buckets....

I take all of my ornaments out of my tank to clean and put them in a bucket. I do not use buckets to fill the tank as I have a python but I’m scared if there’s ich in the bucket it will transfer to the other tanks.

Can I use cold water and bleach to clean out buckets and then use boiling water to kill the bleach in the buckets? Or is this dangerous....

Someone please advise.

I also have a few plastic ornaments and stones which were in a bucket they came from another tank. But water from the ich tank may have come into contact. How can I clean it please

Emily x

Bryangar

The ich most likely died when the bucket dried. But to be safe, you can use bleach. Hot or cold water, doesn’t really matter. To neutralize the affects of bleach, I would use Prime or any water conditioner then rinse well with hot water multiple times.

bitseriously

bryangar said:
To neutralize the affects of bleach, I would use or any then rinse well with hot water multiple times.
I go with a similar method. Seachem Safe is the powdered super-concentrated version of Prime (so it's a lot more cost effective for higher amounts). Anytime I bleach a tank or ornaments/equipment, I fill the tank or a spare 3 gallon bucket with warm tap water, add a pinch of Safe (1/8tsp will do it), and let it sit for 24 hrs. No concern about overdosing, since there are no fish involved. Rinse again with tap water, done. Takes a day, but hands-on time is minimal.

Lucy

Let's not forget this is Emifish's thread. Only two replies were directed toward her issue
tanya9oceana questions and the replies have been moved to their thread here:
Disinfecting A Used 100l/27gallon Aquarium + Rusted Lighting

Here is Emifish's original post:
emfish said:
HI Guys,

As some of you know I have ich in one of my tanks. Only problem is that I have 3 other tanks which need cleaning. I usually have separate siphons for each but they have all got mixed up. This isn’t a problem as I’m just going to go and buy new ones.... the problem is the buckets....

I take all of my ornaments out of my tank to clean and put them in a bucket. I do not use buckets to fill the tank as I have a python but I’m scared if there’s ich in the bucket it will transfer to the other tanks.

Can I use cold water and bleach to clean out buckets and then use boiling water to kill the bleach in the buckets? Or is this dangerous....

Someone please advise.

I also have a few plastic ornaments and stones which were in a bucket they came from another tank. But water from the ich tank may have come into contact. How can I clean it please

Emily x

Goldiemom

1. Ich can’t survive without a host. No host in the bucket. 2. Ich can’t live without water. If bucket is dry, no ich. No need to clean them.

K3liafh

Goldiemom is right but just to be safe I would still wash the buckets and ornament with some boiling water☺

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom