Cleaning an old tank

Reyloads
Hello all!
I bought an old fish tank from a friend. It was in his garage for a long time and he use to use to a long time ago. I cleaned out all of the dirt and dust and I was about to start to set it up until I see these spots on the inside of it. The spot looked like any normal old water spots and kinda like soap scum. So I took a sponge and worked at it for a little while and nothing happened. I them got some windex and and gave it a good working. IT'S STILL THERE!! ........Does anyone have any ideas?

And after I use some ultra industrail, O-Zone depleting chemical to get rid of this; What should I do to make it fish friendly again?

Thanks a lot!!!!!

mrsmuffin
My experience is that white vinegar is a great "natural" cleaner...

Shawnie
HI reyloads..I agree with mrsmuffin...vinegar is great...and some natural old hot hot water ...if it doesn't work after all the stuf you have used, id decorate over it or ignore it..most important is cleaning out that tank with lots of hot hot water rinces because of all the chemical residue you might have inside of it now ....goodluck!

Blub
Hi!

Vinegar is brilliant for this sort of stuff.

susitna-flower
Rince, Rince, Rince....I wouldn't use REALLY hot water though, as it might crack the tank, or ruin the seals.....

Then since it is old and used, and you don't really know if it holds water....place some newspaper under the tank, somewhere that it is ok if it leaks. Fill the tank, and let it sit overnight.....IF the newspaper is dry in the morning...its ok to use....OTHER WISE, you will leave yourself open for a problem/ leaky tank.....

sirdarksol
Like everyone said: vinegar.

There are nearly no other chemicals that can be used to clean a tank. Soap will leave residue even after a dozen or more rinsings, and this residue can kill the fish.

Oddly, the only two other chemicals that I would suggest for cleaning a tank are two of the most toxic chemicals many of us have in our homes: bleach and ammonia (though never at the same time or in the same tank). As long as they're pure, dye free, and scent free, bleach is easily taken care of with an overdose of dechlorinator, and ammonia will be taken care of by cycling the tank and doing water changes.
I only suggest these two, however, if someone has a tank that has had soap or some other chemical touch it. It's about the only way to really be sure you get rid of soap residue.
As long as you haven't put soap in the tank, stick with the above suggestion of vinegar.

Reyloads
Thanks a lot guys!
This Site really rocks!

Top Bottom