Cleaning an old Penguin 350 HOB filter

Fisherman15

I just recently bought a 55 gallon tank setup off of craigslist and it needs some work. It came with a Penguin 350 Hob filter and a 120 that are completely crusty. They still pump perfectly fine but it is just REALLY dirty. I was wondering if I could submerse the entire filter in a vinegar solution to help the process?

The Red Severum

I am not sure about submerging the whole filter into vinegar but taking a razor blade and carefully using it to get off the crust would work. I also would have a rag with the solution next to you and apply when needed.

Dolfan

I wouldn't submerge the entire thing, as the back part is not meant to be submerged. You can fill up a bucket with a vinegar/water or bleach/water solution and then just hang the filter on the side, and let it run, "filtering" the cleaner solution for a few hours. It should loosen up the tough stuff, then a little elbow grease would finish off the rest.

Fisherman15

Dolfan said:
I wouldn't submerge the entire thing, as the back part is not meant to be submerged. You can fill up a bucket with a vinegar/water or bleach/water solution and then just hang the filter on the side, and let it run, "filtering" the cleaner solution for a few hours. It should loosen up the tough stuff, then a little elbow grease would finish off the rest.
Yeah Ill just stick to that! Its more work but that's life, you cannot shorten everything! Thanks y'all!!

Top Bottom