Cleaning an old Penguin 350 HOB filter

1. Fisherman15

Fisherman15 Valued Member Member

I just recently bought a 55 gallon tank setup off of craigslist and it needs some work. It came with a Penguin 350 Hob filter and a 120 that are completely crusty. They still pump perfectly fine but it is just REALLY dirty. I was wondering if I could submerse the entire filter in a vinegar solution to help the process?:confused::confused:

2. T

The Red Severum Valued Member Member

I am not sure about submerging the whole filter into vinegar but taking a razor blade and carefully using it to get off the crust would work. I also would have a rag with the solution next to you and apply when needed.

3. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't submerge the entire thing, as the back part is not meant to be submerged. You can fill up a bucket with a vinegar/water or bleach/water solution and then just hang the filter on the side, and let it run, "filtering" the cleaner solution for a few hours. It should loosen up the tough stuff, then a little elbow grease would finish off the rest.

4. OP
    OP
    Fisherman15

Fisherman15 Valued Member Member

Yeah Ill just stick to that! Its more work but thats life, you cannot shorten everything! Thanks y'all!!