cleaning algae off a tank? Question

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Charlemagne, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. CharlemagneValued MemberMember

    Ok, I wasn't really sure where to put this, so anyone who knows where this thread should go can move it. I keep getting this brown algae stuff in my 29 gal. It grows on the glass, and on my decorations. Currently, I am using a new toothbrush to clean it off, but is there something I can use to stop it from growing? Or something better I can use to get it off? Cuz after a while, my arm starts getting sore from having it in the fish tank scrubbing algae off the sides. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
     
  2. funkman262

    funkman262Well Known MemberMember

    I have something called Mag-Float (but other companies make it as well). You can clean the glass without putting your arm in the tank.

    269.jpg
     
  3. Shawnie

    ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

    brown algae is from having a new tank....its called diatoms...it goes away on its own but can reappear for up to a year or so....it doesnt hurt anything except for some of our eyes when we see it ....IMO it makes things look more natural ....but you can use an algae brush for the sides :)
     




  4. eiginh

    eiginhWell Known MemberMember

    Hello!

    Does your algae look similar to the algae pictures below? If so it may be b/c your tank is new, it isn't given enough lighting, or excess of silicates. Here's a guide on plantgeek.net that lists all types of algae. My dad's tank had the same algae problem as yours but as soon as he put the lights on for longer hours it went away. You can also buy a mag float which is the other picture attached for cheap which easily cleans algae off the glass.
     

    Attached Files:

  5. OP
    OP
    C

    CharlemagneValued MemberMember

    The algae in my tank looks like the stuff in the top right pic, but not nearly that bad. What are silicates? (Sorry, I'm still pretty new to this stuff) I'll try to turn the light on longer, but it's on pretty much all day right now. We turn it on at like 8 am and keep it on (depending on when we remember to turn it off) anywhere from 8 pm to 9:30. Could it be too much lighting? Thanks for your help!
     
  6. Shawnie

    ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

    your lighting is fine...and again its diatoms that go away as the tank ages....the magnets the other members shared in pics, will help allot.....otherwise patience and time will get them gone on their own :)
     
  7. eiginh

    eiginhWell Known MemberMember

    I agree with Shawnie your lighting is fine, a new tank algae problem. You can use scrub pads without any chemicals to clean them off or buy a mag float. My mag floats works like a charm.
     
  8. cm11599ps

    cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

    Wow. I get that problem too and thought it was because my light was on TOO much. I've got it on a timer and during the short winter months the light goes on at about 430 and off about 11-12. Now that it's getting darker later in the day the light goes on at 6 or 7.

    Should I keep my light on for a longer period of time?

    I have a glass tank and have always used a razor blade to clean the algae off. I just hold the blade in my hand and scrape the glass, just like you would scape using a putty knife or similar device. The algae comes right off. I am very careful not to get too close to the corners and cut into my silicone. I've had the tank for 12 years or so and the razor blade hasn't done any damage to the tank.

    I'm not suggesting using one but it works for me and is much easier to use then trying to clean with a sponge.
     
  9. eiginh

    eiginhWell Known MemberMember

    CM, try leaving it on for a longer period of time and maybe wait 2-3 weeks and check if it comes back after you clean it off. It worked for my dad's tank.
     






  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice