Cleaning a a 10 gallon tank...

1. Nightfish1513 Member Member

Right now my and my family are in the process of moving and a idea was brought up about cleaning out a fish tank and putting some fish. The fish tank was used for my pet gerbils that passed away sometime ago. There was some talk about getting it cleaned out, I am not 100% sure if there is a process on cleaning it out because I know that fish are sensitive to certain chemicals.

Any advice on how to clean the tank safely?

Also what type of fish can I add to the tank too

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You can use a 10% bleach or white vinegar solution to clean it out & rinse it thoroughly afterwards.
    New unused sponge kitchen scrubbers are good for getting off any stubborn marks

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Better to ask here for stocking advice, wiki is not always the most accurate site

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

She could look at it and then ask if what she is interested in will work.

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Bleach is a good option for killing most of the stuff gerbils might leave in a tank, just be sure to rinse it really well after. As for stock, it depends on what interests you. I'd do a pygmy gouramis tank if that were me, or guppies (male only) if I were in the mood for something more colorful.

7. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Pygmy or sparkling gouramis!

8. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Save some money for that 29 youve been wanting. Oh yea that 55 also. I know you're thinking "what? I dont want a 29 or 55!!" But believe me when you're carrying it home.

9. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Sparkling gouramis are pygmy gouramis! Lol. You could also do croaking gouramis, and there's a third species that stays around an inch... Can't remember the name of them. Anyway, one species per tank with lots of plants, silk or live will work, provided your water is on the acidic side or can be made to be on the acidic side.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh.... oops.