Cleaning 350 gallon aquarium

JPLOZ

I have a 6 month old 350 aquarium with live plants and small fish like tetras. When I had it installed I could not control the light reaching the aquarium. So I developed a serious algae problem. In January I had black out shades installed in all the windows in the aquarium room. I battled the algae (mostly green spot) for some time. Then I added more plants and presto all the algae died.

My problem is that now the dead algae covers my gravel and plants. I cannot find any gravel cleaner that will pick this dead algae up. I bought UPETTOOLS Aquarium Gravel Cleaner - Electric Automatic Removable Vacuum Water Changer Sand Algae Cleaner Filter Changer 110V/28W. It seems to do something, but is very slow.

Since I live in the Lake of the Ozarks region in Missouri, it will be expensive to hire professional cleaning. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a better electric gravel cleaner or some other solution. I believe that this is a one time problem because the algae is gone.

My nitrate is around 30 so it is not a problem.

e_watson09

Can you take a photo? Usually when algae dies it goes away on its own or you can suck it up with a gravel vac or syphon. I've never used the gravel vac you mentioned but a normal syphon should be able to suck up the dead algae floating around.

JPLOZ

Can't really send a photo. I have tried a normal syphon with no luck. It did not have sufficient power.

SparkyJones

Here's an obvious answer, replace the gravel, or add a layer on top of it, let the plants grow new growth trim and replant the new growth.

If the algae is dead its a matter of time before it breaks down completely.

It's expensive to hire professional cleaning but the 350 gallon tank and the electric vacuum/water changer wasn't?

Ok.

JPLOZ

I have a python, but it has little pickup power. The only electric vacuum gravel cleaners that I can find on Amazon or online are inexpensive, but seem to lack the power to pick up the stringy dead algae or very quickly get clogged up by it. I'm not sure which.

I can hire professional cleaning service from Kansas City or Springfield, but I am looking for a less expensive option.
I have too much dead algae to wait for it to completely break down.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gone
Replies
Views
DillonPhoenix
Replies
Views
PeterKing
Replies