cleaner

1. jigsaw117

jigsaw117 Valued Member Member

I'm cleaning out a used glass tank and I'm having some trouble with just a scrubber, can anyone recommend a cleaning solution that can get rid of the build up on the glass without harming the fish? (I know soap is bad thats why I'm asking)

Sent from my C811 4G using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've heard of people using hot water and vinegar.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, hot water and vinegar. But rinse it out afterwards.

4. OP
    OP
    jigsaw117

thats not really doing the trick, would CLR cleaner work? I looked on the website, it doesn't have any phosphates, ammonia or bleach

5. OP
    OP
    jigsaw117

I got API safe and easy cleaner from my LPS, I hope it works

6. NanoNater

NanoNater New Member Member

I heard somewhere that this product barely/doesnt work since its so weak/diluted. Let us know how it does!

7. elliot5445

elliot5445 Well Known Member Member

I'm assuming you don't have any fish in there. What I do for old empty tanks Is put some oxiclean in a bucket and wash the glass off with a cloth soaked in it. Then take it outside (or in the tub if its small enough) and wash it out completely. if theres any calcium buildup I take a razor blade and scrape it all off, then wash it again. Works well and if you wash it out well it doesn't hurt fish!

8. OP
    OP
    jigsaw117

the only use I got out of it was the empty spray bottle that I filled up with CLR

9. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I use hippie cleaning solution(1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water) and a brand new razor blade to scratch everything off the glass. The hippie cleaning solution eats at the gunk and makes it easier to scrape off.