Cleaner fish/shrimp to be social friendly with guppies?

Tainum

Reaction score
Hey guys, my tank is finally about to be completely cycled and I was looking for some other community fish to go along with my guppies. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with 4 live plants for now with a couple baby snails. Was looking for some beneficial shrimp or fish to go along with my guppies and or other fish that I might add to in the future. Any recommendations? I thought about cory's but I worried about their whiskers as I have some medium sized pebble substrate. Recommendations for other friendly community fish to go along are accepted as well! Thanks.

Also, while it occurred to me, is it okay leaving my lights on in the tank? I normally don't turn them off, but will turning them off temporarily do anything beneficial? For example, help the nitrates grow or plant growth? I had just recently taken the plants out of the pots and placed the flourish tabs beneath them. Thanks

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cory’s should be fine. They are great little scavengers. Shrimp will also work but let the tank grow first. Give it about 6 months before adding shrimp. They need a good growth of bio-film and algae to do well. Another great fish is the Otto cat but again after 6 months.
As to leaving the lights on. You will build up algae! To much algae. So I would put them on a timer or buy 24/7 lighting. These lights follow the day in brightness and for me have been beneficial to plant growth. If going with a timer try 3-4hrs on 3 hrs off and than 3-4 on again. This keeps the plants growing but cuts down on algae growth.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tainum said:
Hey guys, my tank is finally about to be completely cycled and I was looking for some other community fish to go along with my guppies. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with 4 live plants for now with a couple baby snails. Was looking for some beneficial shrimp or fish to go along with my guppies and or other fish that I might add to in the future. Any recommendations? I thought about cory's but I worried about their whiskers as I have some medium sized pebble substrate. Recommendations for other friendly community fish to go along are accepted as well! Thanks.
When did you get the upgrade to a 20 gallon?? If you've only had it a few days, it's not even close to being cycled. Please read this carefully:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm20 gallons is an improvement over 1 gallon right? Corys are a good choice for some bottom fish. They are social, schoaling fish so you'll need to get 4 or 5 of the same species for them to do best. If you have smooth gravel pebbles or coated gravel, it would be fine with Cory's. To keep shrimp, you'll need to know your tank pH/GH/KH. Shrimp have specific requirements to be able to thrive or even survive. Some types are hardier than others. How about ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? What ammonia source are you using to cycle your tank? Youe going to be much happier with a bigger tank I'm sure. How about a picture of your new set up? We all like pictures!
EDIT: I just realized you have another Thread going on this same Guppy tank. Even with Dr. Tim's One and Only, with only 5 or 6 tiny fish in a 20 gallon tank, it's going to take at least 4-6 weeks to completely cycle your tank. If you haven't read the information in the nitrogen cycle link I posted in your previous thread, and reposted here yet, read it. It will give you some critical information you need to keep your fish alive and healthy

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can add basically any of the dwarf shrimp species. If you are new to shrimp, I would recommend Red Cherry Shrimp because they are easy to care for and will maintain their population in your tank (and get along with guppies and most community fish). Also, add the shrimp last so that the biofilm has time to build up and provide the shrimp with a food source.

For other fish, I think a school of mosquito or harlequin rasboras would look great! You can also try some of the smaller tetras, but they might snack on your shrimp. A gouramI could make a nice centerpiece fish and also take care of any fry from your guppies. And if you want cories, they should be fine with gravel substrate so long as it is smooth and you clean it regularly (just gravel vac when you do your WCs).

There is a benefit to keeping the lights off for some time. Primarily to avoid algae, second to allow CO2 to increase in the water overnight, and 3rd because your fish really need darkness sometimes. There are other reasons, but I think those re the main 3. I would recommend - 12hrs off - 4hrs on - 4hrs off - 4hrs on - if you can (or similar to fit your schedule).

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I got ghost shrimp and they do nice at keeping the tank tidy. Larger than cherry shrimp, but not colourful. Theyre transparent which is kinda fun tbh. Its like they always change colours.

AGuna

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can add Neon/ cardinal tetras. Add about 15 of them. They do better in a school. You can try different combinations as guppies are compatible with many fish. Example: Platy, Rasbora, Mollies.

I myself have 18 guppies with 3 Platies, 1 Florescent Blue RAM and a Betta. Yes, Betta is in there and there is no fin nipping. I had to watch my tank very closely after I put in my betta to make sure there is no aggression. There was one guppy that was fin nipping betta, so I had to remove it. If you want to keep betta with guppies, you will have to take a lot of precaution and make sure that the betta does not attack your guppies or vice versa. My Betta is very peaceful. I had a deal with my LFS that If the betta is aggressive, I will return it and try another one.

You will have to reduce the flow rate of your filter as well if you want to keep betta, which I think you will do anyways as you are keeping live plants.

I also have few Otocinclus in my tank and they are the best algae eaters. I had an algae outbreak. After I put Otocinclus in my tank, they wiped it clean.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom