Clean Up Crew

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by perrydaplatypus, Aug 25, 2019.

1. perrydaplatypus

perrydaplatypusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys what is a good clean up crew to get rid of that brown algae that grows all over my live rock. I have a few snails and hermit crabs but they aren't getting rid of it. It is slowly covering more and more of my tank

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +494
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Do you mean the diatome algae? The best thing is to figure out what's causing the algae and prevent it so it doesn't grow in the first place.

3. OP
    OP
    perrydaplatypus

perrydaplatypusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes that's what I mean because I've seen them called brown algae. From my understanding it grows in a healthy tank after it is cycled. I was just curious if some critters that would eat some of it

4. Jimmie93

Jimmie93Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    A lot of people dislikes snails but they are great for cleaning I use them in all of my tanks saltwater or freshwater and with a decent population I never have any kind of algae. Trumpet snails are dirt cheap but you have to watch the population and remove them if they overpopulation which isn't hard if you buy some just make sure they are for saltwater as people has converted them to fresh water as well.

5. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +494
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How to Get Rid of "Brown Algae" (Diatoms) in Freshwater Aquaria
    I never had the diatoms in my 7 gallon until my nerite snails ran/slithered(?) off. I've reduced my lighting but with a box filter, I don't have much water flow/current, so I think that's why they're an issue in that tank. I also have very hard water. In my 25 gallon, they're mostly an issue on the sides of the tank where there's not a lot of water flow. My nerites and bladder snails spend a lot of time eating them. I actually see the nerites' tracks over them.
    I use a toothbrush to scrub them off areas I don't want them on, but I leave some for the snails to enjoy.

6. Brittany Rismiller

Brittany RismillerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm actually trying to GROW algae in my tank for my otocinclus fish, amano shrimp and my bristelnose plecos (2). But the best things to eat algae are otocinclus fish and / or amano shrimp.

7. CheshireKat

Ratings:
    +494
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Me too... I'd like a bit of algae for my Mollies and platies. I had a bit of hair algae in my 7 gallon for some time but then it went away on its own. My plants seem to suck up all the fertilizer though.

8. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    The problem is scale. It's generally recommended to have 1 snail and hermit crab per gallon of tank (although few actually maintain that). I would say you should have at least half the capacity of your tank in there in terms of hermit crabs and snails. Hermit crabs are what I have found to be most effective (ie smaller reds) simply because they eat the food sources the algae needs to thrive (ie excess food bits and fish poop).

Become a Fishlore Member