Clean up crew

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishTankNewbie, Jul 11, 2015.

1. FishTankNewbie

FishTankNewbieNew MemberMember

Hello!
    I have recently stocked my 29 gallon planted tank (properly cycled, with lots of caves and hiding places) with 6 fancy guppies and 8 cardinal tetras. I am also planning to put in a dwarf gourami after everything is stocked. But now, I wish to know what I can use as a cleanup crew! I was originally going to put a couple peppered cories in there but I would like to know what my other options are. Shrimp? Plecos? (I really like them but I dont think they will fit)
    Thank you in advance for all of your answers!!!!! :D

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

A school of otocinclus!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! :D Pleasure to meet you! :)

Also, the cories would need to be in schools of six or more, so just a "couple" wouldn't work. :) Also, if you went with a pleco, I'd do a bristlenose as I think I've heard that clowns can be shy.

5. OP
    OP
    FishTankNewbie

FishTankNewbieNew MemberMember

When you say a pleco would it be fine on its own?

6. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cories aren't really considered a cleanup crew. They are bottom feeders but they don't eat algae.

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

From what I've learned on here, yup!

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Keep in mind that plecos are messy and have a huge bioload compared to similarly sized fish.

9. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

10. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, multiple males may fight.
    I would personally go with something else because they have a big bioload.

11. TSzabo

TSzaboValued MemberMember

Some clowns can be. Mine has to be the polar opposite though. He is always out and about. I never have trouble finding him in my 55. They do (like others have said) have a very large bio-load though. Seems like I just clean my tank and hes already made a disaster zone out of it.

12. BettasAndAnOscar

BettasAndAnOscarValued MemberMember

My BN pleco does wonderful in my 29! When he's not rasping on his driftwood, he loves to ride around on the back of my snail.

6 bettas, 1 Oscar, 1 marble peacock cichlid, various live bearers, shrimp and snails

13. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Mystery snails are excellent cleanup crews for leftover food and nerites are good for algae. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Too bad this is a 29 gallon because like I said before, the absolute best cleanup crew is a bunch of Siamese algae eaters. They do it all, leftover food, algae, cleaning plants, the glass etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice