Clean up crew question

1. t

tabshire95 Valued Member Member

I recently got a new light And my plant growth sky rocketed. However, algae growth has also sky rocketed. I don't have any type of a clean up crew in this 55 gallon tank. Should I consider gettin. Some otos or shrimp or snails?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

The plant people (that sounds sooo funny lol) could better help you with advice on how to keep the algae under control with other methods. You should never add anything to your tank that you don't really love and want. They should never be added to perform a "job".

3. OP
    OP
    t

Well. I'm a sucker for shrimp I should've probably elaborated that haha. I have a shrimp tank as well and they're fun too watch. But I guess my biggest question is what would perform the task best. I love the look of little Otos too. But I planned on finishing my stocking with boesmani rainbows and I'm concerned they would eat the shrimp.

4. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

If you are dead set on adding something to help with algae I'd suggest nerite snails. They do a more effective job than almost anything else I've worked with, are inexpensive, and won't multiply in the tank.

That being said I agree that the more prudent course of action would be to fix the underlying issues that are causing the algae in the first place rather than adding creatures to clean up the mess. In this case simply leaving your lights on for a shorter period each day would probably be enough to curb the algae growth.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Reducing the amount of light can help.

6. OP
    OP
    t

Yeah I toned back my light time I started that yesterday once I noticed such an extreme jump in growth. 8 hours of light time is what I'm trying now instead of the 10 it was usually getting.

7. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Love nerite snails! Ours hangs out by the filter by day, but at night he moves fast!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

How you combat algae largely depends on the type. Do you know what kind it is, or can you post some good pics?

9. OP
    OP
    t

Its a Spotty brown algae, if that helps any. I'll try to snap a picture after work.

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Spoty brown algae...sounds like diatoms to me. Very common in new tanks and while unsightly, it is harmless and will go away on it's own in time.

11. OP
    OP
    t

I just googled it, its definitely that kind of algae. It's prolific towards the substrate and the one side of the tank facing the window. (I closed the blinds now that the new light is working so well so hopefully it will subside with time.) and if it is harmless I will give it time and space for it to just die down!

12. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

best cleanup crew is a siphon and some elbow grease