Clean Up Crew For My Multi's

TiltedTank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone I am getting some Neolamprologus multifasciatus and I have pretty much came to the conclusion I really can not keep any other fish with them I am using a 20 gallon tall, and am getting in 6 unsexed fish. I am using a sand bottom (pool filter sand) and I am thinking ahead on how tough it will be to clean the sand once they get established. I do not want to disturb their shells or territory. So I was wondering if I could get anything that can help with cleaning the sand. I will have some Thiara Winteri (spiked MTS) in the tank to move the substrate around some but nothing that will eat the debris on the surface of the sand. I of course will clean the sand, but I was hoping there might be something that I could use fish or invertebrate wise? Thank you.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Usually you can make things work by having all the fish grow up together as juvies. I think you could do some cory's that are similar in color to the sand as long as you add them to the tank first, or within a couple weeks of the cichlids.

TiltedTank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will cory's eat the eggs or fry? I just want to make sure anything I put in with them will not mess with the fry.

Mr. Kgnao

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't really recommend putting anything else on the bottom of a 24 inch tank with multis; anything that likes to stay up top should be fine.

TiltedTank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't really recommend putting anything else on the bottom of a 24 inch tank with multis; anything that likes to stay up top should be fine.
Ok, thank you. I will stick to just the Multi's with maybe some endlers on top if they do not eat the fry or eggs of the multi's

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first thing to note is that the Multi clan will move around substrate to suit their needs, so if you have a decent HOB filter, it will likely pick up most of the debris when they kick it into the water column. I never had that much trouble with mine getting a dirty tank, and they were always by themselves. BTW, a tall tank is a waste with these bottom dwellers, never saw one get more than a few inches off the bottom.

Endlers will eat fry if they get the chance, but there is no way they can get into shells to eat the eggs. Because the fry tend to stay close to the bottom, I would expect the same problem with any Corydoras.

TiltedTank

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The first thing to note is that the Multi clan will move around substrate to suit their needs, so if you have a decent HOB filter, it will likely pick up most of the debris when they kick it into the water column. I never had that much trouble with mine getting a dirty tank, and they were always by themselves. BTW, a tall tank is a waste with these bottom dwellers, never saw one get more than a few inches off the bottom.

Endlers will eat fry if they get the chance, but there is no way they can get into shells to eat the eggs. Because the fry tend to stay close to the bottom, I would expect the same problem with any Corydoras.
Thank you very much. A species only tank it is then! Unfortunately the 20 high was all I could use in the space the tank had to go. That was why I wanted to use the upper column of the tank for another species that would not harm the fry or eat the eggs. I hate having the wasted space too, I just don't know how to use it if there are no fish that can be there

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom