Clean Up Crew Combo

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Aqua Hero, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Aqua Hero

Aqua HeroWell Known MemberMember

so i thought i would start a thread where we talking about the fish and inverts that make up our clean up crew.

i have:
    otocinclus which help with brown algae and biofilm
    pgymy cories to eat leftover food
    cherry shrimp to eat left over food as well as algae
    Malaysian trumpet snails to eat leftover food

honestly IMO i think invertebrates are the best scavengers and cleaners. they have a small bioload, they are peaceful, eat 24 hours a day, breed easily and eat EVERYTHING. also they are cheap. heck i get my MTS for free and i only paid 80p for a cherry shrimp.

so whats your clean up crew combo

2. KarenLM

KarenLMWell Known MemberMember

I have 6 otos, 1 SAE and 6 peppered cories in my 55gal. I still have algae on the side and back walls and a little on some of my plants. This algae started long before I had the otos and has improved since I added them.

I'm looking to add a nerite snail or two once my LFS gets them in again.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I have 6 albino cories, and I just picked up 2 nerite snails today to clean the algae off the sides of my 55 gal.

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I have 14/15 Oto's & too many corys to count, I don't consider them clean up crew as they need their own diet to thrive

5. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

Obviously you have to feed them but since cories are scavengers (so will eat leftovers) and otocinclus eat annoying algae all day and night they do help 'clean' the tank to an extent

6. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

I have 6 cories although they don't really clean anything up except maybe extra food. I have a nerite snail, three mystery snails, and a whole bunch of rams horns that keep my tank from getting too gross. I'm looking to get some ghost shrimp but I'm hesitant after my last fiasco where every single one of my shrimps died. Also a bamboo shrimp since my tank water is gross and I'm sure there's enough junk for it to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

If you're water is that bad maybe you should do some larger water changes. My water is clean but because I have a tendency to overfeed I need the extra help from my inhabitants. But if the water quality gets bad (mine hasn't because of the plants) I will do water changes.

If you shrimp are dying then it either they are a bad breed, not accumulated well or poor water quality.

8. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

The shrimp thing was a weird infection that got in my tank. It was bizarre. The water quality isn't gross, but the color is very... Natural. Kind of green. It's mostly from the plants and and driftwood. I like the color, it just needs a better light. But there's a lot of plant debris I need to net out too.

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I have six Siamese Algae Eaters in my 75g. They eat all kinds of algae including black beard algae, it's the main reason I got them. No other algae eater/cleaner eats BBA. I'm glad I got them too, I had an outbreak of BBA recently...

10. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfishWell Known MemberMember

Which tanks? Hehe. Let's see,

My five gallon just has ramshorn snails right now but I want to get ghost shrimp soon.

36 gallon has 6 Corys, a pond snail (Spirl) and a ramshorn or two.

55 gallon has 6 salt and pepper Corys (going to get more soon) 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 Nerite snails (Bella and Zebra) and some " pest" snails (ramshorn) and my
    MTS.

my 20 gallon is GOING to have khuli loaches if I can find them and if not..... CORYS! Oh and the only clean up "person" in there right now is my pond snail, Death.

11. TSgtSparky

TSgtSparkyNew MemberMember

I been going back and fort between getting a school of ottos or Pleco. Think I'm going to go with ottos because of there cleaning abilities and there low bio load

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What's your current stock and what do you plan on getting?

13. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

1.5g is just Yellow Neocaridina Shrimp
    5g Betta tank has 1 Zebra Nerite and 1 Bladder Snail
    10g is also shrimp only, Sakura to Painted Fire Red Cherry Shrimp and about 5 or so bladder snails
    55g has a BN Pleco, 2 Vampire Shrimp, 5 Sterbai Cory (they get their own food too), 4 Assasin Snails to control the ridiculous bladder snail infestation, and of course, said bladder snails.

Interestingly ive never had the bladder snails get out of control in the 10g, even when it was a guppy tank. In my 55g however they went nuts. I have since removed a ton. Even if they are great scavengers, they seem to breed prolifically. I dont mind having a few, ill just be glad when the assasin snails keep the population in check and I dont have to keep removing them.

14. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Main tank (29g)
    1 albino bristle nose pleco
    5 peppered Corys
    3 ghost shrimp (had 20 but most died)
    100's of Malaysian trumpets
    ?? Pond snails
    5 assassin snails - munching through the pond snails andMjimg they make a start on the trumpets to keep them in check.

Lets just say I don't tend to worry too much about over feeding as there are so many mouths to feed.

Plan on getting 20+ cherry shrimp as I've heard they are even better at busting algae than amano shrimp although I don't have much algae at all but I love shrimp!

15. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

If you dont have much Algae youre better off with the cherries. While Amanos love Algae more than anything, Cherries have a wider preferred diet, and will eat all sorts of anything they can find. algae, leftover food, bio flim, you name it, theyll eat it.

16. TSgtSparky

TSgtSparkyNew MemberMember

I currently have 15 tiger barbs and 3 clown loaches. The clowns are little bitty guys and I'll upgrade the tank size down the road for them as they get bigger. Probably going to get Otos to keep the bio load down, but I have not closed the door on getting a small pleco

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Only worry I have is that my gourami might make a meal out of them, my fish leave my ghost shrimp alone but I'm not sure about bright red cherries on a light substrate, my tetras might even pick on them too.

18. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

My dad had a BBA outbreak last year, and picked up 2 true SAEs to combat it. While they did a majority of the work, several times while I was at his house I saw his Red Tail Shark eating the BBA. He kept the SAEs in a quarantine tank and moved everything that had BBA on it to that tank one piece at a time for a day or two each until they had it clean. It took a couple weeks but he's been BBA-free for several months. Since then, I've added at least one SAE to each of my tanks. Also have Otos in two tanks and Corys in two tanks. The Rosy Barbs I have in my 72g are also very effective scavengers, always digging through the substrate looking for something to eat. The biggest problem with them is they like to be the center of attention- you try to look at anything in the tank and there will be 4 Rosy Barbs in front of your eyes in a matter of seconds...

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It's kind of a hassle to move plants around and replant it in a different tank and then move it back to the main tank after a few days. I had those SAEs as an all-purpose cleaner type fish. But now I see them as more than just cleaners, they're actually pretty cute and graceful.

20. OP
    OP
    Aqua Hero

Erm otos don't keep the bioload down. Bioload is the total waste that fish produce. Buy adding more fish you add more bioload to the tank. I'm guessing you mean the otos have a low bioload

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice