'clean Up' Crabs/snails In A Cold Water Tank?

1. T

TinySwimmer Valued Member Member

Wondering if I should get a few for my new tank to make it a little bit more busy but to also keep it as clean as possible? Does anybody else have these in a cold water tank?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

All of my tanks have shrimp and snails of some sort. Except when I had a minnow/goldfish tank. Neither shrimp nor snails stood a chance in that one.

3. BlueSubmarine

BlueSubmarine Valued Member Member

Shrimp and snails would be excellent.

Crabs are neat but you have to be careful of other tank-mates as they might get eaten by the crab at night. They like to go for fish that sleep at the bottom and slow swimmers.

You would also need to provide something for them to climb out of the water.

4. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Most if not all crabs (available in the aquarium hobby) need brackish water. Crayfish will do well in a freshwater aquarium, but it depends on what other fish are with it.

By cold water, what temperature is it at?
    What are the other inhabitants?
    What is the tank size?

5. OP
    OP
    T

TinySwimmer Valued Member Member

Two fancy goldfish. I have no idea of the temp but I would guess room temp by now. The tank size is 80 litres but I'm about to move them to a 180ish litre tank.

6. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

I prefer the activity of shrimp to snails, but I do have to admit that with enough snails, your tank does have less bio matter. However, enough snails of the same variety also means there will soon be too many snails.