Clean then sick Betta

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has had a Blue Betta for nearly 2 years now (it was the centerpiece of a wedding reception that she took home). It lives in a tiny (i know it's sad, but what can you do?) little bowl, with room to swim. She never cleaned Bubaloo's (his name) water, and I finally got mad at her and told her to at least give him brand new water. You couldn't even see the thing in the bowl. Well, today she called me and told me she cleaned it... I was so proud of her.... Then she said her fish now rises to the top and gasps for air not in the water... What should she do? I am calling her later tonight and hoping the fish is still alive.

Coincidentally, Ironically, Whatever, she had grabbed me one too during the reception, (named Blue), which died after 1.5 years of vigorously caring for it.... Figures... :-[

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's how Bettas breathe. They have what's called a labrynth organ, which is pretty much a lung that they can breathe air. When you see them butt their heads up to the water like that that is what they are doing. She hasn't cleaned the water for 2 years? No offence, but I'm surprised he's still alive.

Welcome to fishlore! Natalie

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
He was still kicking ;D Tough booger that Bubaloo is. I hope he is doing okay, and is still alive... My newly sparked interest in aquatics has also come up in my girlfirend, that is why she all the sudden cares about her one little fish...Although I might steal it from her and add it to my tank!

Thanks for the info, I almost told her that they needed to breathe fresh air to live, but refrained until I knew for sure! Thanks!

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bubaloo probably would like an airstone in his bowl.  That would ensure that he had air to breathe.  Also, maybe the new water has something in it that is harmful to Bubaloo.  Was any AmQuel added to eliminate chlorine and harmful minerals?  I t seems odd that cleaning his bowl would lead to health issues for him.  As was mentioned by Natalie, bettas breath by bumping their heads on the water. Ideally he should have a much larger tank so it could be heated and filtered.  Is there anyway you could talk her into getting at least a 3 gallon tank?  A five gallon would be even better as it would be easier to regulate the temperature.

Welcome to fishlore.

CherryRose  

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Read this info about Bettas. What kind of fish do you have in your tank? They only get along with certain fish. So don't do it unless tit's ok for the Betta to be in with the fish.

This link will help you. I agree with Cherryrose, he would probably be much happier being in at least a 3 gallon tank complete with filter, airstone, heater. They like temps between 80-82 degrees best. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We're voting for at least a 3 gallon for Bubaloo also - tough little guy deserves it.. you can find 5 gallon hex tank kits for as low as $30 or eclipse 6 tanks (not sure of the price) if space is an issue or a 10 gallon kit if there's room.. some nice live plants, a cave or 2 and he'll be in Betta heaven-on-earth.. You can get TONS of suggestions on here on how to spoil the little guy in his own palace.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am trying to talk her into it as I am typing this.... I even saw a 1 gallon tank at Petco that had a light and undergravel filter for only 15 bucks.... Still, we'll see..... Thanks for the info everyone, I'm trying my best to talk her into it.... I'll keep ya posted.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I know which one you are referring too. Don't bother getting that one. I had it whenI got first betta and didn't know better and after a few months of living in it he hated it and started injuring himself letting me know how much he hated it. You can't really heat a 1 gallon tank. It would be very risky given it's size. If she doesn't want to dealwith anything to large then maybe a 2.5 gallon. Atleast you can heat that. If you do get a heater I recommend this one. You can control the temp with it which you need to do anyway for when they get sick.

I have this tank as my q-tank/hosp.tank. It's a good size, not too big, not too small. Very easy to maintain.

This is the permanent tank I have for them to live in. ( I have otto cats too.)

Again very easy to maintain. NOt too big, not too small. Can fit then on a small counter or something.

The tanks and heater's you can get both at Petsmart. I would recommend getting the heater from this site because they have a lfetime guarantee on all of their stuff like this, plus they have the 25 watt and petsmart doesn't I don't think. At least I've never seen it there. If she opt's to get a 2.5 gallon she's better off with the 25 watt heater. Natalie

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jri4 said:
I am trying to talk her into it as I am typing this.... I even saw a 1 gallon tank at Petco that had a light and undergravel filter for only 15 bucks.... Still, we'll see..... Thanks for the info everyone, I'm trying my best to talk her into it.... I'll keep ya posted.
I agree with Natalie & definitely get the heater there. that's a great price. browse the site too and the store.. maybe seeing little caves, anemones, live plants and other betta-safe decor will get her more in the mood for a nice tank. Remind her too that Bettas are recommended to have at least 2.5-3 gallon minimum (the 1" per gallon guideline) and her betta will be so much fun to watch in a bigger tank where he can play, explore, show his attitude and interact with her.. she could watch the videos Natalie & others have posted of bettas in action.. it's really almost as much for us as them when we get them a nice sized tank.. they are such characters and having more room really brings that out.

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, a 1 gallon would be too small to keep heated and filtered. I'm glad that you and your girlfriend are looking in to getting a bigger tank. Bettas are so much fun to interact with.

CherryRose ;D

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom