clean the tank How Do I 

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How do I clean the tank with the adult fish. do I remove ornaments, fish, plants and such before I vacuum. Also do I stir up the gravel first. Petsmart wasn't very helpful. Do I add stuff to the water after or no. So confused. The fry are in a separate 1 gallon tank. Just 4. How do I clean it there so tiny. Sorry for all the questions.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Welcome to FishLore!!
You don't have to move the ornaments/plants around each time if you don't over feed.
Life them up and vacuum under them and put them back. If they need it, rinse them in the used tank water that you have removed.
Your fish can stay in, just be sure to keep your eye on them so no one gets sucked up.
Here's a link that will help:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/1-2-3-easy-aquarium-siphon-instructions-video.19653/

You can use a new, clean, never seen soap turkey baster to suck up waste and left over food in the fry tank.

Here's a link to some helpful Beginner Links
Hope that helps

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI there, welcome to fishlore!

I wouldn't go doing a too thorough gravel vac quite yet with a newly cycled tank. I always vacum the front part of the tank each week (because that's where I feed) and move half of what is on one side of the fish tank one week, then move stuff on the other side the other week. You shouldn't have to move plants at all, or the fish for that matter. Just watch that they don't get too curious about the gravel vac I fill a bucket with water, check the temperature to see if its about the same, then add Prime as my dechlorinator, then slowly pour it in.

As for the baby tank, I buy a turkey baster to suck up left over food/poop, or use a new syringe catridge. 1 gallon is indeed very tiny for a fry tank, it's going to be very difficult to maintain the water quality and keep it warm. I would be doing very small daily changes, even twice a day. Say, 10% each time.

Also, I'm assuming you have mollies? I'm afraid a 5 gallon isn't going to work long-term Mollies can get to 4 inches long. They really need a 20 gallon tank minimum to be able to swim and grow properly.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, we'll try to help you best we can

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info. I didnt want to hurt the fish while cleaning. I actually have a 10 gallon I'm getting ready for the 4 mollies. Then the 5 gallon will be for babies. This is just temporary till the 10 is ready. I don't plan on keeping babies but couldnt risk the 4 getting ate. Thanks so much.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No worries, great you hear you're going to upgrade for your fish, they will appreciate it

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
One quick question. what is the best gravel vacuum to use for the bigger tank of course.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads