Clean tanks and good filters?

1. N

Nieveso New Member Member

hey guys sooooooo sorry that ive posted so many threads today its just toay EVERYTHING went hectic in my 10G tank it was clean then i woke up and it was foggy in my 20L tank my goldfish have unusual behaivior and my new shrimp are not eating and there are bugs in their new algee pellets and basically all of the tanks got suddenly dirty so my question is how do you keep your tanks sooo clean im not made of money i dont have a job atm and i want a really goood clean filter that will cost me close to nothing my friend has a over 55g tank he only has to clean every 7 or 8 months how do you do it whats your secret????? and one other thing anyone know anyone in goldcoast or brisbane australia that is selling endlers or guppy endelers for cheap pickup????

Anyone??/

2. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Everyone has ideas as to how to care for a tank. It is my belief that a properly filtered tank goes a long way with fish health as well as maintenance. There are so many factors as to why things go wrong, some of the more common reasons are:

Overfeeding
    Not cleaning the gravel and allowing waste to decay
    Not cycling the tank
    Under filtering
    Using chemicals
    Stocking too quickly
    Overstocking

In order for us to help you we'd need to know much more about your tank. If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the Forum Action link at the top of this page and select Edit Profile. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

Also, that food that has bugs in it needs to be thrown out. It has gone bad and will not be doing you or your fish any good.

3. OP
    OP
    N

there is only 1 tank that may be overstocked and i may over feed a bit but i find it hard to feed the right amount with multiple fish while i have my uni friends over my back one saying toomuch or perfect and the other saying not enough its confusing and i clean my gravel 1ce a month by putting it in my breeding tank and filtering it through with water.
    but cycling my tank has never been a problem for me i have never done it i didint think it would make much difference and i dont use chemicals

4. OP
    OP
    N

Done I Changed my About Me! YAY!!

5. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

G'day Nieveso!

Regarding feeding, as humans we tend to drastically over-estimate the amount of food a fish requires. Don't worry, I've done it, and I'm sure most other members have too.

The hardest bit for us to get our heads around! Fish don't need to eat everyday, but as humans we often think they do, and we feel guilty if one misses out, so we feed a little more. (Sound familiar :D)

Here are some loose guidelines that might you with feeding:
    - Fish don't need to eat everyday
    - When they do eat, they typically only need a portion the size of their eye :eek: Yep, hard to believe, but true. Could you imagine if we only ate as much as our own eye-ball :;sh
    - Fish don't always eat if they're not hungry, so don't feel bad if one misses out.
    - Fish are opportunistic, and will eat if there's food around, doesn't mean they "needed to eat"
    - Many people will advise to feed "no more than is consumed in 2-3 minutes". I don't know if I necessarily agree with this :;dk

I hope that kinda helps get your head around how much is enough.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sure most other members still do ;) I think we all overfeed - it's just a matter of to what degree.

7. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I feed my fish every other day, and gravelvac every week in the tanks that are not heavily planted. That is how I keep my tanks clean.

8. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks guys they are some great ideas but I sadly can't afford the equipment to gravel vac but I can still think about the feeding thing ALOT cause I think I'm a number 1 offender of overfeeding

9. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

If you were looking at the 20 foot water changers they aren't nesscary. I change my 160 75 and 55 gallon tanks with a 5 gallon bucket and a simple 10$ gravel vac. Being with my older sister I college I know how tight money can be. If that's the case you could try this. Remove all the fish from one take and put them into a container. Than take a piece of hose this can be anything that's about 3 foot long and a hose. Take the gravel and pick it up and let it sink and keep doing this till you think you have gotten the whole tank. Now change your water with the hose. This should get. Some junk out but a gravel vac is the most effictive way.

10. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It really is important to be able to properly clean the tank. Not buying the necessary equipment to keep the tank going is like buying a boat and not being able to afford the gas to use it. I know that may sound harsh, but it's the truth of the matter. Save up - your fish will be happy you did, and by extension so will you :)

You could probably make a water changer for less than it costs to buy one.

11. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

you need to be doing WEEKLY water changes with a vacuming your gravel. that person who can wait 6-8 months or whatever to clean their tank is not taking care of it right.

12. divanina

divanina Well Known Member Member

Nieveso,

You mention the foggy water in your 10g tank, I think. Is this a new tank? What's in it and for how long? Suddenly foggy water can mean the tank is cycling.

13. OP
    OP
    N

Read on what it says about me that is the tank and it's new to me I got it fro a friend it's been running for 4 weeks :0

14. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Gravel have are only a few dollars, and they're really an indispensable tool to fish-keeping.