How Do I Clean Second Hand Tank

Tinytail

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello. I just got a second hand 20 long to upgrade my 10 gallon. I’m hoping to add more swim space for my nano fish. I got the tank, a fluorescent hood, air pump, stones, and driftwood from this guy. 40 bucks, pretty decent. He was going to throw in a filter and heater too but they turned out not to work anymore. He’s got monster fish so it’s been a while since he’s had anything in the 20. It’s all dusty and has that “other people’s house smell” I can’t put my finger on. Something like cigars and big dog smell. Anyways I started by tackling the driftwood and rocks. My first hmmm moment happened when I noticed the rocks looks rusty? They look like slate but have rusty patches on them. Kinda sketchy but I don’t really need slate for my look anyways. I put the rocks and wood in a big pot and started to boil then. Some scum rose to the top. It was kind of yellow orange brown. Like propelis kind of. I picked up the wood with tongs and went to rinse the scum off. Well the cold water turned it into a hard resin like texture. Now I’m really confused. What the heck is it??? Any insite? I was really hoping to use the wood but I won’t if we can’t identify the stuff. Same with the rocks. Now I’m worried they’ll be something wrong with the tank too! Please let me know if you know what it is.

Also I use LED in my 10 so if someone can catch me up on what I need to know for fluorescents that would be SUPER helpful.

Barch

Reaction score
Honestly just do a good bleach cleaning, let the tank sit in the sun for a day if possible to dry out, followed by another deep clean with hot water and making sure to remove any bleach. You can Google many different methods of cleaning old tanks.

Cant help ya with the residue and rust spots, I'd personally toss the old stuff and just be glad you got a nice tank and light/hoodngor a good price lol.

83jase

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bar keepers friend and thoroughly good rinse x2 for the tank that is

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Quite frankly, I don't do 2nd hand wood or rocks because they're porous, and all kinds of things can be hiding deep in there. Even leaving it out in full sun for days will only take care of the surface. I just have had too many bad experiences

New Threads