Clean I G Tank After Ich

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Amanda27, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Amanda27

Amanda27 New Member Member

Hey! I have a question I'm new to having a big tank I've always had beta fish and did fine with them.... Well I about a month ago bought a 10 gal tank ran the filter and everything while I was out if town then got back in town and bought about 7 glo fish a snail and a pleco.... Everything was fine and dandy and for day the 13th this month yes Friday the 13th I know!... But all 7 of my glos died with in 30 40 minutes of each other niticed they had white spits on them used Google and foubd out it was ich..... Now that they have died I need to clean the tank out so I can stock back up in fish... How do u clean tge tank out when my sucker and snail are still alive.... Do I take hald the water out and redo the water? Do I take tbe snail and sucker out if the tank and clean it all??? Help!!!!! I don't want my snail and sucker to die now but I need to clean it before new fish go in..

2. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Hey,

First off, all types of plecos are too big for 10 gallons.

As for dealing with the ich. I would perform a few 50% water changes, several days apart. Keep a close eye on your pleco and snail, and if no white spots form, you should be good to re-stock in a few weeks. If white spots appear, run out and pick up some ich medication. Treat the tank as per the directions, and then wait a couple weeks before restocking (and run some water changes too).

Also, did you cycle your tank when you first set it up?

3. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Because that is the huge part that it appears you missed.

Setting up a tank and letting it "run" for a weekend accomplishes nothing. You need to learn about cycling a tank immediately. BEFORE you get more fish. Or you will just have a repeat of what just happened.

The ich was likely just a secondary issue to the horrible water quality of an uncycled 10 gallon with that many fish added at once. So dealing with ich is not what you should be focusing on. You should be focusing on making the tank livable and survivable for fish. And this requires cycling it properly. The ich would likely not have happened if your tank was cycled for fish.

you mentioned this is your first "big tank" and I hate to break it to you, but 10 gallons is one of the smallest tanks you should use for actual fish. (Most anyway) So it is not a big tank and certainly not suitable for a pleco of ANY kind. And you likely have a common pleco which needs over 100 gallons due to size and bioload. Can you post a photo of it? Because if it is, you need to return him immediately. And what kind of glofish do you have? Because that glofish brand makes several different species into glofish now. Species that require much different care requirements from one another.

You need to do your research before getting any more fish for this small tank. And you will get lots of help from many wonderful people here on this forum if you are open to taking the advice so you don't just go through the same thing over and over again!

4. OP
    OP
    Amanda27

Ok so I was told that he woukd be on in a 10 gal tank so good to know thank you.... And the snail and sucker do not have white on them so far... I will do the 50 percent water change tonight.. As far as cycle before all I was told to do was set the tank up with everything but the fish and then I went out of town for about a week and then got back into town and bought fish 2 days later... I let them sit in the bags in the tank water for about 20 30 minutes then added them one at a tine... They did really well up until Friday like I said then died 1 by 1... Did I do something wrong?

5. bizaliz3

Read about the nitrogen cycle. Your tank Was no better off a week later than it was the day you set it up. Unless there was an ammonia source.

6. OP
    OP
    Amanda27

Thank you i will look into it

7. bizaliz3

You're welcome. Do a little bit of reading and research and then come back here and ask any questions that you have as a result! Because you likely will have questions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice