Clean Hole in Corydora's Underside

FishBoy101

Well haven't been on FishLore for a while but I need some help.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 75 gallons
How long has the tank been running? A year
Does it have a filter? Two sponge filters
Does it have a heater? Yep
What is the water temperature? 76F-ish
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 4 corydora, 1 rainbow shark, an angelfish, 'bout 8 tetras, 3-4 juvenile mollies and some guppies (dither fish) and four golden zebra loaches.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once every 2 weeks or so
How much of the water do you change? 30-40%
What do you use to treat your water? Dechlorinator, I forget the exact brand
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? In-fish cycle
What do you use to test the water? API Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
I haven't been able to test these yet
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? A pinch or two
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra
Do you feed frozen? Nope
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Sometimes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? A year or so
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Cannot stick to the bottom of the tank (not swim bladder, they have full control of moving left and right, just will float up uncontrollably)
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Nope
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that I can remember
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? A hole in the stomach

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I came down to watch the fish as we all do and I see the corydora stuck on some elodea. I immediately think it's dead due to lack of oxygen (due to the fact that the lights are relatively dim) so I brighten the lights and increase the flow of oxygen. I then notice a hole within the fish's stomach, a clean cut (not from other fish)- there's nothing sharp in the tank so I have no idea where the cut is from. As I stated above in the illness and symptoms area, the fish doesn't seem to control it's swimming up or down- but I am sure that it isn't swimbladder.

Pictures are on their way

Thanks

A201

The problem might be a bacterial ulcer. There is really no cure for such a condition. Sometimes a fish can survive the infection, but the ulcer, or a dented scar will remain.

DoubleDutch

There are reports abouw worms or even worse parasites leaving a Cory-body after some time.

FishBoy101

Well the fish died last night and got thrown out before I could take a picture, but the hole wasn't exactly deep or small. It was 1/3 of an inch & not deep at all, seemed to only have cut the scales off.

Coradee

Sorry he didn’t make it, it does sound like some form of internal parasite breaking out. Like DoubleDutch I have heard of that happening before, it may not be what killed your fish but it is a possibility.

colo3000

Interestingly I am experiencing the same issue today, not long after it happened to you. I’ve attached a picture of mine. It is laying on its side and isn’t able to swim off the bottom. My guess is it’s pretty close to death. Did you end up having anymore issues with your other cories?

Attachments

• D25D0AB0-194F-4F2D-819D-0A186C1593ED.jpeg
    D25D0AB0-194F-4F2D-819D-0A186C1593ED.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 12

FishBoy101

Nope, all the rest of my corydora seem to be fine, it was only that one who had that problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question