Clean Gravel Vacuum How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fishies95, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Fishies95

Fishies95New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello everyone! I have a 10 gallon tank which I usually clean every 7-10 days. I normally vacuum the gravel with the gravel vacuum/siphon. I am getting a few bacterial colonies on the pipeline of the vacuum and I would like to clean and disinfect it but I'm not sure how to. Any tips?

2. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    Rinse well with really hot water, maybe use one of those sponges on a stick, that is usually used for cleaning water bottles or something like it. Just DON’T use soap, or other chemicals like that, just use hot water.

3. OP
    OP
    Fishies95

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    So, do I just soak the whole thing in hot water? The bottle cleaner I have is pretty huge and I don't know how to fit it in the middle of the pipe.

4. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +744
    Experience:
    3 years
    I just run it through the tube, I don’t soak it, I just run it through. You could soak it the run it through :)

5. OP
    OP
    Fishies95

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    How do I start the vacuum though? I've been following the instructions on the package and it said to completely dunk it in the water to start it and I don't think I can do that with really hot water. Also, does the water have to be boiling or can I just use really hot tap water?