Clean an Extremely dirty acrylic tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by MissCap, Jun 24, 2016.

1. MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

My parents bought me a 50 gallon tank and cabinet stand at an auction for $5. They are bringing it to me today. Woohoo! First I am filling it with water to see if it leaks. Then I need to clean it because it is aweful looking.

I know I can't use soap or abrasive scrubbers. I don't think water will get off the dirtiness. Any suggestions? My mom said it is acrylic. Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Vinegar, hot water, and an acrylic-safe sponge will help!

3. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Can't be just any old dishwashing sponge, though, even if it is acrylic-safe. They'd have to buy a new sponge for fish-only purposes and never use it for anything else, because, you know, soap.

Welcome to the forum, Misscap!

Wishing the best for you and your fishies!

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Acrylic-safe sponges are sold as aquarium stores - not sure any ordinary sponges will do (also most say don't use for aquariums). That's why I didn't say kitchen sponge :)

5. shusband

shusband Well Known Member Member

Depending on what is the "dirt" I use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. If it's biotic I use hydrogen peroxide and then vinegar for hard water and everything else, I use a clean rag and elbow grease, rinse frequently.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice