Clean a used filter?

1. str8shooter Member Member

I got a used filter and was wondering if I need to do anything more than just wash it to get it ready. If so what should I wash it with just water or something else. Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

If it has hard water deposits you can scrub it with peroxide, and I would also spray it with rubbing alcohol, completely let it dry, and then rinse rinse rinse... That should disinfect it!

Good luck!

3. str8shooter Member Member

Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Fishguy18 Initiate Member

If I were you I would just buy a new filter depending on how many gallon filter it is you can get a aqueous filter on amazon for 8 dollars

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. GgAcE Member Member

I disagree. If you are looking to save a few bucks, used filters work fine as long as they are disinfected. The longer it sits, the more it collects.

I picked up 2 used eheims that were in pretty bad shape. Spent $8 on parts & saved myself a pretty penny. The cleaning was the hardest part & really just took a few hours of scrubbing then letting them dry before rinsing thoroughly as described above.

So to answer the basic question: "Clean a used filter" - Yes. Clean it. If it's simply changed from one tank to another be sure the other tank was disease free as to not carry over anything you don't want or need in your tank!

6. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

GgAcE

I completely agree! I ran every used filter that came with used tanks I've bought after a through cleaning. If they were broke or needed replacement parts I just bought a new filter, but if they worked fine I used them.

Still am using a 40g HOB filter that is about 12 years old, back when Tetra products were Regent.