Clay As A Substrate?

BeanFish
I'm trying to do the closest thing possible to a South East Asian biotope for my tiger barbs. From what I have red the waters there are very rich in Iron and the substrate is red. I have seen a guy that comercially grows plants use clay as a substrate in his tanks and the water was not cloudy at all, far from it. It also looked good (and I think my plants will appreciate the Iron too).

I was thinking about trying that out but I'm scared that with fish swimming around my water will always be filled with clay. Have any of you tried it out? I don't need that much as I already have sand, the idea was to make a fine layer of clay on top of the sand (yes, the reversed thing of what is usually done lol) so if clay is not possible I may go with Flourite but whenever I can save money I try to lol.

Advertisement
OnTheFly
I wouldn't do it Bean. Yard clay would need to be capped IMO.

BeanFish
Yard clay? I would be buying the clay from the guy itself. Maybe I will just play it safe and do flourite, it has other things in there too so I already have an excuse to spend a crazy ammount of money on it lol

Tiny_Tanganyikans
Flourite can be mashed into exactly what you want. Amazon has the 15lb bags on sale right now for prime members at 15% off

BeanFish
Mmm. I guess I will go with Flourite. Looked at MercadoLibre which is like a LatinoAmerican Amazon and they cost 30 bucks with free shipping included. Far from being economical, hopefully my plants will benefit from it and I will get the South East Asian look I want.

Caitlin86
I have red fluorite in my tank...I love it but it can be a pain 2 rinse...even after rinsing multiple times it can cause cloudiness. The first time I did it was a mess...the 2nd time worked perfect. I rinsed the fluorite in little batches in a colander...I then spread it evenly in a thin layer on towels and let it dry (preferably in the sun). This method caused zero cloudiness at all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
REL
Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies
Views
Bluestreakfl
Replies
Views