Claude Frog Housed With Goldfish Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by lovemyfanciesbut, Apr 14, 2019.

1. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Has anyone ever had a clawed frog with their goldfish or heard of it?
    And if so did it workout or did the goldfish get sick or the frog get sick?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

maybe in a pond I could see it happening
    In a tank they would probably try to eat each other and the goldfish would out compete for food. @scarface @Skavatar what do u guys think

3. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Assuming you're talking about the African Clawed Frog, I wouldn't try it. Unlike the Dwarf Frogs, they get quite sizable. And being frogs, they are predatory. Depending on your goldfish size, they might be safe, but regardless, they have two very different food requirements; and primarily because of that alone, I wouldn't house them together--even if your goldfish is safe from being eaten or harrassed. Goldfish are pigs and can eat themselves to an early grave when trying to feed the African Clawed Frog its own food.

4. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello love...

Frogs prefer tropical water temperatures, around 78 degrees. Goldfish aren't tropical. They like their water at least 10 degrees cooler, at 68 degress. Don't combine the two.

Old

5. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I have to disagree with one part. Goldfish can handle tropical temperatures just fine, especially at 78 (which really isn't that warm). My goldfish right now have been at a comfortable 70-72F the past week. That is room temp. Realistically, 68F or below would would require a chiller, unless one keeps their house ridiculously cool.

6. Addie42Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, lots of goldfish farms are in tropical regions. I think the main concern is the (amount of dissolved oxygen)( water temperature) slope

7. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello scar...

You need to do a bit more research into keeping Goldfish. The top end temperature for these fish is 70. Warmer temperatures only succeed in increasing the metabolism of the fish and shortening its life. Warm water loses oxygen very quickly compared to cool water, so your fish have to get used to oxygen deprivation, this is stressful. But, you're the expert.

Old

8. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

Thank you all for replying!
    My sister has an older black Moor and a while ago bought a clawed, almost instantly her Moor got really sick and had a fuzzy white fungus all over him, got really lethargic and then ammonia poisoning. She put him in a QT and got him better. Made another tank for the clawed and got her Moor back in his tank. Well... she decided to buy another clawed. Being that it was still small she decided it should be put into her Moor tank once again so it didn’t get eaten by the larger clawed.
    And, again, her Moor is getting a fuzzy white fungus he’s getting a bit lethargic and his face is turning red. Her numbers r good on the tank she made sure to check.
    20g tall
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 10-20ppm
    She removed the clawed and put it in a QT tank until it grows out and also did a huge water change, removed whatever decor and also put a second filter just to rid her tank of whatever it may be.

9. lovemyfanciesbutNew MemberMember

She removed the first clawed mainly because of it going after her Moors tail and getting a couple nips of it. But there is something yucky happening when she put the first frog on and after she put the second frog in and her Moor is getting super sick. Maybe it’s the worms she’s feeding the frogs or the frogs themselves idk but I had her remove her second frog before she kills her Moor