Classroom 30 gallon tank stocking

FishArePetsNotObjects

Freind got a new 30 gallon tank for their classroom and im helping them set it up. They have 1 dwarf gourami and 4 loaches,but its pretty empty looking and they would like more fish. I suggested the usual guppies,mollies,plattys,ect. but they want somthing different, that wont reproduce to quickly. There requrments for fish are:

Easy to feed(no live or frozen food)
Gets along with the gourami
Low matinence
Visually interesting for the students(Colorful or lots of movment or social behavior)
Not extreamly pricey($5-$10 per fish max)

Im kinda at a loss as to what to suggest that would meet these requirments, any suggestions? I was thinking maybe tetras or a female dwarf gourami but tetras can be pricey and ive only ever seen 3 female dwaft gouramis in my 10+ years of fish keeping.

PeterFishKeepin

Mountain Cloud Minnows?? cheaper then tetra, normally around the same size or a little bigger, i love them, if the standard colours arent appealing to you, you can buy the gold variety for a little more money.. perhaps some cherry barbs too??

Redshark1

White Cloud Mountain Minnows don't work in school as the environment is too warm.

Many small fish will hide (Five-banded Barbs did this for me) and can get stressed showing pine-coning symptoms (Platies). Kids are programmed to bash on the glass and you will never stop them.

It all depends what your reason for keeping an aquarium in the classroom is. Mine was in reception so it was to make the school look nice and provide something for visitors to look at as well as for the children.

An aquarium can be a distraction in the classroom. You also need to keep up your standards as you are teaching kids how to care for animals.

If you are saying the aquarium is boring what is it you are expecting exactly. Entertainment? For that you would need a bigger aquarium and one of several robust Central American Cichlids such as the Midas Cichlid that interact with their owners and will chase your hand along the glass etc. They are known as Wet Pets and are probably the ultimate fish for kids.

I have kept a pair of Bristlenose Catfish (Gold Variety) in school and they bred which was pretty interesting but not what you say you want.

I think I would consider a pair of albino African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus laevis).

Attachments

• School Aquarium 05.10.07 (3).jpg
    School Aquarium 05.10.07 (3).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 3

SparkyJones

I wouldn't trust kids to not tamper and poison the fish somehow. Kids are cruel.

Keep plants. No animals in my opinion

ProudPapa

There are a number of tetras that will fit your requirements, or at least most of them. The one about getting along with the dwarf gourami is a toss-up. Assuming you get eight or so, they shouldn't bother the gourami, but some dwarf gouramis will attack any tank mates.

FishArePetsNotObjects

An aquarium can be a distraction in the classroom. You also need to keep up your standards as you are teaching kids how to care for animals.

If you are saying the aquarium is boring what is it you are expecting exactly.
The tank is a friends, im just in charge of making sure they dont try and buy the wrong type of fish. They have older students(3rd or 4th grade I think) and the tank has a secured lid. They want to promote proper fish keeping and show fish are animals too.
I wouldn't trust kids to not tamper and poison the fish somehow. Kids are cruel.

Lid is secured with velcro and is constantly in veiw of my friend(the teacher)

Cherryshrimp420

If the gournami and loaches are healthy then that's proper fish keeping. On the other hand, filling up empty space with colorful fish for the sake of enjoyment is not...

If they know what they are doing then harlequin rasboras are pretty hardy and peaceful (and they won't breed in hard water)

As long as they understand that more fish = more maintenance. It will be harder to make fish live a healthy life in a fully stocked tank than an understocked tank

Redshark1

Spot on. I neglected to say that is why I closed the school aquarium. My fish were repeatedly poisoned over a couple of months after I had maintained them there for 20 years. As I could not find out who was doing it I had no other choice. The surviving fish returned to full health after a week at my home.

Previously I only had problems with people turning the equipment off which I was able to overcome with some additional measures.

SparkyJones

Spot on. I neglected to say that is why I closed the school aquarium. My fish were repeatedly poisoned over a couple of months after I had maintained them there for 20 years. As I could not find out who was doing it I had no other choice. The surviving fish returned to full health after a week at my home.

Previously I only had problems with people turning the equipment off which I was able to overcome with some additional measures.
yeah, I mean all it takes is one kid getting in trouble for being a dummy and wanting some revenge and the fish get killed, or just being a dummy and wanting a laugh.
There's the whole "gone for the weekend" every week thing which I don't think is a big deal, but I wouldn't trust 10-20-30-40 kids to not do something insane at some point and wipe out a tank of fish.

My brothers wife is a teacher, she honestly doesn't have the time to be taking care of a classroom pet with her schedule, but even then she wouldn't trust the students to all be well balanced children. Got enough to do without adding that to the list of things that need attention in the days of school shootings and absentee parents and overscheduled and overloaded teachers.

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom