Classic Debate of HOBs: AquaClear or Fluval C series

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There may be a past thread about this, so sorry in advance if I didn't see it.

In the market to replace my Aqueon QuietFlow30 for a 36 gallon tank. I have been doing a bit of research into the AquaClears and Fluval C series filters. I know a lot of people like the AquaClears and that they have been around forever! Just curious if the new C series is actually worth it, since it is supposed to be a new and improved version. The slight price increase is not that big of a deal to me, however, none of my local stores carry the C series or its media, but they do carry the AquaClear filter and media.
Also, curious as to why the C series is rated for bigger tanks with such a low flowrate? The box would tell me to go with the C3, with only 153 max gph, which goes against everything I have done before!!!!

Is this the classic "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" situation?
Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Filtration is always a "If it's not broke don't fix it" situation in my opinion. The only exception would be is if you don't have enough filtration. Then I'd opt to add a second filter as opposed to upgrading the existing one to a larger one.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, welcome to fishlore

What don't you like about your QuietFlow 30? Kinda funny, I thought of doing the same thing a few months back so I bought two Aqua clears and brought them home. They were super noisy. I let them run for 24 hours and there was no change. I guess I could've got bum ones. I also didn't like that they are not self priming.

So I ended up keeping my aqueon's lol.
I modify mine to keep extra media in them:

Also rule of thumb is 10x GPH of tank size. I have two of the quiet flow 30's in my 33 gallon long. They each do 200gph so it puts me at about 15x which honestly I feel like is just about perfect.

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In a debate on filters, HoBs lose. Get a canister. You'll never go back.
Quieter, more efficient, cleaner looking, more customizable...

BrassFinger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won't disagree with anything said so far, but I have a C3 running for about a month so far on a 10 gal. that will shortly be transferred over to a 20 high (along with everything else). I also have a QuietFlow 20 running on a 20 hex.

My previous experience with AquaClear filters goes back to around 1990 when I had a AC200 running on a 20 gal. I liked the old AQ a lot with the way they did the media setup back then - one "slot" for the block of foam and one slot for the bag of carbon or whatever you wanted and you could change them by just lifting the lid. The new AC filters are a debacle, IMHO. That's why I bought the Fluval, and so far I really like it.

Quiet? Well, the Fluval is quiet, but it still sounds just like my old AC did. The AC was never really silent, but never loud, either, until the impeller wore out, but then you just buy a new one and quiet returns.

The QuietFlow 20 is silent, however, by comparison. If the impeller ever wears out, though, the shaft is epoxied in place and can't be replaced. But, the filters are so cheap that who really cares? I wish they had a second slot for media like the Penguins so you could install a new cartridge with the old one for a few weeks to let it establish the biofilter and then pull the old one out. It would also allow more room to DIY your own setup of filtration. They are still a great bargain, however.

Chris

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BrassFinger Guess I should've tried the fluval, I would've like the slot idea alot better!

FYI, with my quietflow 20 and 30 the impellers can be pulled and replaced. Is that what you were referring to?

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Decided on the C4. Ordered it online and took the 3rd shipment before I received one that was not broken! I guess the 3rd time really is a charm! I just posted another thread regarding trying to cycle Zeo-Carb, please check it out if you have any experience with Zeo-Carb. Thanks!

Also, the new C4 is kind of "quiet." When compared to the QuietFlow30, the fluval is loud, but in reality it is not that bad. However, I would think twice if the tank was in my bedroom.

Pedantos The Red

Valued Member
Reaction score
I3uckethead said:
In a debate on filters, HoBs lose. Get a canister. You'll never go back.
Quieter, more efficient, cleaner looking, more customizable...
Agree completely. You can even make them yourself.

Unfortunately the only one I have atm is waaaay overpowered for any tank I currently have. Maybe I can attach a spray bar or something.

Also, I wanted to try out a liquid sand bed filter. Look pretty neat.

I3uckethead

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pedantos The Red said:
Agree completely. You can even make them yourself.

Unfortunately the only one I have atm is waaaay overpowered for any tank I currently have. Maybe I can attach a spray bar or something.

Also, I wanted to try out a liquid sand bed filter. Look pretty neat.
A sunsun302 size can will fit a 36 gallon tank no problem. And they're only like $10 more than a HoB.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom