claning sand? Question 

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i was wanting to use sand in my new 75 gallon. tank. was wondering if anyone has had any problems with sucking up all the sand during vacuuming? i dont want to dump the water and then dump all sand back in the tank... anyone ever had a problem with this?

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are only supposed to hover over the sand with the vacuum rather than dig it in there. At least for me, no matter what I do a little bit of sand will be picked up. It's not really noticeable though, but i can see where overtime you might need to add a cup more to replenish the sand bed. With sand you will see the debris lay right on top and you can tell where you need to vacuum.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you already have a gravel vac, removing the larger diameter tube on the end so you're just left with the hose makes it a lot easier to clean the sand. You can either siphon into a bucket and then place the sand that was removed back into the tank or if you're using a cheap sand (like play sand) then I wouldn't even worry about recovering any sand, just add additional sand from time to time. But honestly, after you do it a few times and get the feel for how high above the sand you need to hover the tube, you won't be removing much sand.

Theepum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
great, that works for me, so my next question. there is a river nearby with a great sandy beach, if i take that home and maybe boil it would that work for my tank? or should i just suck it up and go buy sand?

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beach sand is not good to use. You can't control what is in the beach sand, and usually beach sand is high in iron among other things that could be lurking. I'm not sure if boiling would rid the sand of these unwanted minerals. Pool filter sand i have heard is quite affordable averaging 9 dollars for 50 pounds, although that's not the case in my region.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't trust using beach sand if it's for a freshwater tank because it'll mess with the water chemistry. For a saltwater tank, it would most likely be ok but I'd probably still just buy the sand (for Saltwater I'd get llive sand) to help get the tank started.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Here is a link to a video on cleaning sand that many members have found helpful:

Give it a minute to load and then hit Play.

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is the video that really helped me, Ken. I don't lose any sand up the phython using the method represented in it. It's also good for instruction on how to remove the gas pockets that can accumulate in the sand substrate.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads