Clamped fins. Need help

Mori

My female beta fish has been through a decent amount like bad tank mates, ich and stuff but still came out with open fins and happy in the end. She has recently clamped her fins again but overall still active and seems happy. I also cleaned her tank a few days after the clamped fins started but she still remains the same. Is there a serious reason for it?
5 gallon tank with heater and filter as well!

marmaaa

Mori said:
My female beta fish has been through a decent amount like bad tank mates, ich and stuff but still came out with open fins and happy in the end. She has recently clamped her fins again but overall still active and seems happy. I also cleaned her tank a few days after the clamped fins started but she still remains the same. Is there a serious reason for it?
I see in the info you do not know what a nitrogen cycle. Did you cycle your bettas tank?

Mori

My female beta had ich before and as a factor of it had clamped fins but once it went away she had her fins all spread out and happy. Then they all close up again and now I’ve noticed that she opened all her fins again except the back one like she’s unable to. There’s a glossy white patch shown in the photos that I’m worried about. Is it ich again, just clamped fins or is it a type of thing that glued it shut almost? She’s acting perfectly normal and happy in a 5 gallon, filtered and heated to the right temperature tank.

Mori

marmaaa said:
I see in the info you do not know what a nitrogen cycle. Did you cycle your bettas tank?
I have not and I now know what it is and am just wondering on what I do to help it besides the water changes

marmaaa

Mori said:
I have not and I now know what it is and am just wondering on what I do to help it besides the water changes
Do you have a test kit so you can see what your water parameters are?

aIvinn

Mori said:
Hi Mori! :) You seem like a new fishkeeper like me! Trust me, I've been in your position before, but the only difference now is that I understand the nitrogen cycle and how it applies to my fish. Dear, your fish is most likely shimmying due to an unestablished tank! This means that your tank has not been cycled. An uncycled tank can lead to high concentrations of ammonia/nitrites that are toxic to your dear fish! I recommend using the resources on this forum to cycle your tank and all of these great people on here will constantly answer you.

------------> This is a very good site for cycling a tank as a beginner.:) <3

Rose of Sharon

Hi Mori,
Your female has lost it's color on the back half of it's body. This can be due to high concentrations of ammonia in the water, high nitrites, a high degree of stress, or maybe some sort of injury. I agree with the others who responded to your post. If you don't have a way to check your water parameters at this time, I suggest that you get an API freshwater test kit, if you can. The test kits usually lasts for quite a while, and you will need it to track the tank parameters as your tank cycles.

I would do small water changes every other day. I would also suggest that you get some good water conditioner - Prime by Seachem is what many people use. Prime is great for cycling a tank with fish because it makes the ammonia and nitrite non-toxic for a time. If you can get some Prime, you will want to make sure that you use it daily if you are doing a fish-in cycle, which is what you are doing now if you tank isn't cycled.

If your tank is cycled, and your parameters are good, then that is an injury. Is there something in the tank that she could have gotten caught on, or stuck in or behind?

I have been keeping bettas for about 5 years now, and they can be somewhat challenging at times, especially if you are new to the hobby. I hope some of this helps, and I hope your betta baby gets better!

Latest threads

Top Bottom