Claims Of Ial Killing Healthy Fish?

Discussion in 'Meds, Additives and Supplements Reviews' started by fatmabari, May 12, 2018.

1. fatmabariNew MemberMember

Hello, I am new here so forgive the long lead-up please.

I used to do a lot with fish in the past. I had sworn it off a few years ago because it’s so expensive now, but a few weeks ago I fell in love with a betta in Petco and couldn’t walk away. I tried, in fact, but ended up going back two days later for him. :| Sadly due to the fact that I’m in the process of moving I can’t upgrade him to the size talk I really want until the end of the year. For now he must make due in the bare minimum of 2.5 gallons. Just last night I noticed his fins looked eeeever so slightly jagged, come morning they were clearly chewed up on the end, and now tonight they’re a mess. I spent today reading the forums and going over his water stats and I know for sure that he’s biting because his overbred big flowy tail I loved so much was annoying him.

I was getting ready to order IAL even though I hate the water discoloration because I want him to be as happy as I can make him and to prevent infection, but then I noticed several reviews claiming their healthy fish in much larger, cycled set-ups (the reviews specified 10 and even 20 gallon setups) died only a couple of days after adding the leaves?!

Are these flukes? A bad batch? Are there suppliers/companies that are better than others? I’m already heartbroken that Cyril wrecked his fins, but I love this little boy and I’d be crushed if a stupid leaf harmed him...

2. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I too have heard unsettling stories of adding the leaves. Hopefully someone will come on soon who has experience with these leaves. Keep us posted? Please?
    Hey @Discus-Tang @Thunder_o_b any thoughts on IAL? Thanks guys. :)

3. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

I have never medicated a fish with minor fin issues. The only thing I could suggest is what you have said you can not do.

I will warn you not to use these products : Melafix and Pimafix. They can be deadly to labyrinth fish.

4. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I've used a single ial successfully, but I don't think that means all that much.
    IMO, frequent large water changes, 30-50% daily, would be more beneficial than ial. I know it's pretty time consuming, but it would help more than Indian almond leaves.

5. Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

Ial could indirectly kill a fish if too many were added, but that would take lot of leaves. The cases you stated were almost definitely coincidences. Throw in a leaf 'cause the tannins are great for the fish. Also definitely do lots of water changes, and watch out for infections.

Also +1 @Thunder_o_b, definitely do not use pima/mela as they don't emulsify, thus preventing labyrinth fish from breathing.

6. fatmabariNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone!

I definitely don’t want to medicate him per say, just prevent infection with clean water and helping soothe him. I use Prime and Stability with 25% water changes every other day. He has anubias nana for plants, a sponge filter with bio media, and a small Aqueon heater (which I need to replace tomorrow cause it suddenly doesn’t seem to be getting it much over 76). I only considered the IAL because I know so many people swear they make their fish happier, and also because our water is on the harder side of neutral at 7.4. I did get some Bettafix but I’m hesitant to actually use the stuff, as opinions on that product seem to be 50/50. It seems counter-intuitive to water down something toxic to a species and then name the watered-down version as a cure for said species. I might try some Vita-Chem, but I don’t see much point until (if) I can help reduce his bad habit.

I may end up getting a bigger tank now, despite the hassle of moving it twice, and trying some tank mates. He’s an energetic little guy and I know his tail is frustrating him, I can see it in the way he moves. While I am not sure how adding more room is supposed to fix that, if the tank were big enough I’d add some pygmy corys, as I’ve read adding the right company has helped some biters. Corys are about the only thing I’d trust with a betta. He spends an unhealthy amount of time pacing/glass-surfing and I think he needs something to do.

Bottom line I just want a happy fish.

7. 75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I think most of the claims of it killing healthy fish are false and the fish died from a different cause.

8. Discus-TangWell Known MemberMember

BEttafix is just like mel/pim, don't get it.