Citric Acid In Tank

PatrickShrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
About half an hour ago my diy citric acid X baking soda co2 exploded, more the connecting tube was not properly attached, and it sprayed around 500ml of the citric acid bottle everywhere including into my tank. My dwarf puffers seem fine but the ph has gone down from 7.2-4 to 7(this may not be the case as I just did a water change.)Might there be any others issues that may come up? It's possible some baking soda water may have gotten into the tank.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd honestly just keep a close eye on them.

The swing would have caused a lot of stress, but I think you'll turn out okay.

PatrickShrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
They seem less active but are still swimming out an about I'll keep an eye on them for the next few hours.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's a good sign. Definitely watch for PH swings. You might consider doing 3-4 more 25% WCs to flush your tank a bit.

You may not have had a big enough hole drilled into the citric acid bottle, and the pressure was too much. I did a DIY Yeast setup, and even that put a lot of pressure on a 2-liter bottle. Citric acid, when mixed a bit too strong for your equipment, can obviously be pretty catastrophic.

PatrickShrimp

Valued Member
Reaction score
It was a kit that we had to disassemble to unclog which was not put back together tight enough. It think doing WC isn't necessary right now, the PH should be stabilizing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom